Davis Debut Spoiled by Cutspec
Brice Cutspec (2010 NDFA - Azusa Pacific) clouted a three-run HR in the top of the 1st to spoil the Cub debut of newly-signed veteran LHP Doug Davis, as one squad of EXST Giants thumped one squad of EXST Cubs 9-6 on Field #2, while Jesus Morelli ripped a two-run double down the LF line in the bottom of the 6th to get the Cubs within one run and then scored the tying run on a Yaniel Cabezas RBI single, as the other squad of EXST Cubs and the other squad of EXST Giants played to a 4-4 tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park in Mesa this afternoon
Both games were seven-inning affairs, and the games were played simultaneously on adjacent fields.
The 35-year old Davis (1-4 with a 7.51 ERA and 1.98 WHIP with MIL in 2010) underwent surgery last October to repair an injured elbow flexor tendon and to transposition his ulnar nerve after suffering through much of the 2010 season with elbow tendinitis. The Cubs signed him to a minor league contract yesterday, and wasted no time in getting him to Fitch Park and into a game.
Davis got off to a rocky start in the top of the 1st inning, allowing a triple and a walk before the Cutspec HR. He settled down nicely in the top of the 2nd, however, mixing a slow curve with an 84 MPH fastball (cutter) to strike out the side on just 12 pitches. No question Davis is the prototypical "soft-tossing lefty."
Iowa Cubs OF Brad Snyder (strained oblique) continued his injury rehab, playing RF for and getting four AB with the EXST Cubs squad on Field #3. Snyder flied out three straight times to the warning track in dead CF, and then drew a walk in his last PA.
Three pitchers who just arrived at Fitch Park from the Cubs Dominican Academy saw game action today. 20-year old Dominican RHP Starling Peralta (who had an impressive AZ Instructs last Fall when he made his U. S. debut) worked an easy 1-2-3 inning, but 19-year old Venezuelan RHP Ramon Garcia and 18-year old Venezuelan LHP Luis Villalba (both of whom were making their U. S. debuts) did not fare as well, with Villalba hearing the dreaded "Roll It!" when he was unable to get a third out in the top of the 4th after throwing 24 pitches (only 13 strikes).
In addition to the Cutspec clout off Davis, EXST Giants slugger Leonardo Fuentes slammed a solo HR in the top of the 6th, and EXST Cubs DH Max Kwan mashed a two-run opposite-field HR over the RF fence with two outs in the bottom of the 7th.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, F-8, BB, 6-3, R)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-3 (K, 1B, 3B, R, RBI)
3. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 1-3 (4-3, K, 2B, RBI)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, L-8, F-7)
5. Hector Suarez, C: 0-1 (K, BB, BB)
6. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (K, 5-4 FC, K)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-3 (P-6, 4-6 FC, K, R)
8. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-2 (1B, BB, K, R)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, 3B: 0-1 (5-4 FC, HBP, HBP, R, CS)
10. Max Kwan, DH #2: 1-2 (K-DP, BB, HR, R, 2 RBI)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Doug Davis: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 0.2 IP, 2 H 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 24 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Joe Zeller: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 34 pitches (24 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
C Hector Suarez E2 – overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance an extra base and eventually score unearned run on WP
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Hector Suarez: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
NOTE: Brad Snyder played RF and was the third batter in the bottom of the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
X. Brad Snyder, RF: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, F-8, BB)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 4-3)
2. Johan DeJesus, DH: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B)
3. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-3 (F-9, 1B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
4. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (F-7, 6-3, 1B, RBI, PO)
5. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
6. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (BB, K, P-6, R)
7. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (K, K, 2B)
8. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 4-6-3 DP, R, RBI, SB)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 20 pitches (10 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 3.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 56 pitches (36 strikes), 7/0 GO/FO
3. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 39 pitches (19 strikes)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Dustin Geiger E5 – fielding error allowed batter reach base safely
2. P Jin-Young Kim E1 – errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base.
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70’s
2011 CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER:
ACTIVE LIST (54):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Hunter Ackerman
* Kyler Burke (ex-OF)
* Doug Davis (ACTIVE REHAB)
Angel Guzman (ACTIVE REHAB)
Ty’Relle Harris (ACTIVE REHAB)
* Casey Harman
Jay Jackson (ACTIVE REHAB)
Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)
Charles Thomas (ex-3B)
* Luis Villalba
# Brian Inoa
# Hector Suarez
# Vismeldy Bieneme
* Pin-Chieh Chen
* Wes Darvill
# Marco Hernandez
* Eduardo Gonzalez
* Kyung-Min Na
* Brad Snyder (ACTIVE REHAB)
# Oliver Zapata
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.