Wang Answers the Bell
Yao-Lin Wang threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts and Dong-Yub Kim capped a three-run third inning with a bases loaded two-out two-run single, but the A’s rallied to tie the game thanks to some shaky Cub defense, as the EXST Cubs and EXST A’s played to a 3-3 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this afternoon
The stocky 20-year old Wang got the start for the Cubs, striking out one batter in the 1st inning and two each in the 2nd and 3rd. He did allow one walk and one single, but one base-runner was erased on a 6-4-3 DP, and the other never made it past 1st base. Wang is a native of Taiwan and was a member of the Taiwan Junior National Team prior to signing with the Cubs for a reported $260K bonus in June 2009.
The Cubs scored all of their runs in the bottom of the 3rd to take a 3-0 lead. Blair Springfield and Wes Darvill opened the inning with singles to put runners on 1st & 3rd, and then Dustin Geiger lofted a sacrifice fly to RF to score Springfield. After Pin Chieh Chen reached base on an error and Wilson Conteras was hit on the knee by a pitch, Dong-Yub Kim came through with his two-out two-run single to CF to score Darvill and Chen.
DY Kim is one of several players signed by the Cubs out of South Korea in the last few years, receiving a reported $550K bonus in February 2009. He made his U. S. debut at AZ Instructs in September 2009 and showed some indication that he could be a five-tool player, but his career was sidetracked at Minor League Camp 2010 when he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury that required surgery. He has yet to play any RF in 2011, and his throws from LF are somewhat weak. He was tried at 1B occasionally in Minor League Camp but struggled there, so now he is most-often used as a DH, although he also does play LF.
Daytona Cubs catcher Luis Flores is now on an Active Rehab Assignment with the EXST Cubs, after suffering a concussion in Minor League Camp. Flores started behind the plate today and played five innings, getting two AB (5-3 and F-9).
Also, Iowa Cubs OF Brad Snyder (strained oblique) has completed his Rehab Assignment with the EXST Cubs and has rejoined the I-Cubs, and RHP Ty’Relle Harris completed his Arm Strengthening Program at Extended Spring Training and was moved up to AA Tennessee.
Here is today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-3 (F-7, E-1, 2B, R, CS)
1b. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 0-1 (F-9)
2. Oliver Zapata, CF: 0-4 (K, F-9, 3-1, 4-6-3 DP)
3a. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-2 (1B, HBP, 5-3)
3b. Gregori Gonzalez, 3B: 0-1 (K)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-4 (6-4 FC, 1B, 5-3, 6-3, 2 RBI)
5a. Luis Flores, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-9)
5b. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (6-3, P-3)
6a. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-7, PO)
6b. Jesus Morelli, RF: NO AB
7. Xavier Batista, DH #2: 1-3 (K, 5-3, 2B)
8a. Blair Springfield, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-7, 5-3, R)
8b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: NO AB
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 2-3, (1B, 6-3, 1B, R)
10. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-2 (F-9 SF, K, 1B, RBI)
1. Yao-Lin Wang: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 GIDP, 42 pitches (28 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 28 pitches (22 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 30 pitches (19 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
4. Dustin Fitzgerald: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (23 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
1. 2B Pin-Chieh Chen E4 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and runner to score unearned run
2. 2B Pin-Chieh Chen E4 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and runner to score unearned run
NOTE: The two errors occurred on consecutive plays with two outs in the top of the 4th inning
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s