Giants Take Cubs Deep for Sweep
Charles Jones, Joseph Staley, and Gabriel Cornier cracked home runs to power the EXST Giants to a doubleheader sweep over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 5-3 on Field #1, and 8-1 on Field #2.
The games were played simultaneously on adjacent fields.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning affairs, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra inning to allow Cubs and Giants pitchers to get their scheduled work.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, R, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (3-1, F-7, 6-3)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K+WP, R, 2 SB)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, R)
6. Max Kwan, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Blair Springfield, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-3, F-8)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-7, K, F-7)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY – NO AB
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 46 pitches (22 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
2. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Johan DeJesus: 2-3 CS, 1 PO
SQUAD “A” OUTFIELD DEFENSE:
RF Blair Springfield threw out batter-runner 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-9, 3-1, 6-3)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, F-9, BB)
3. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 6-3 DP)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, BB)
5. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, F-7, K)
6. Jose Valdez, DH: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
7. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-3, BB, 1B)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (L-8, 5-4 FC, 5-3 DP)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 52 pitches (26 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 40 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Rodriguez’s second inning was stopped with one out when he reached his max pitch limit
4. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Torres a late scratch from the Pelicans game and no word of injury or signs of foul play with the unis. May be a trade a brewing after all?
Edit: now word he was a late scratch due to a "headache". Hmmm
Hopefully Zobrist is regaining his stroke and KB can move back down to third or fourth in the order. Did not realize the zero rbi's in over a week - glad Rizzo and Russell picking up the slack
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.