Giants Take Cubs Deep for Sweep
Charles Jones, Joseph Staley, and Gabriel Cornier cracked home runs to power the EXST Giants to a doubleheader sweep over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 5-3 on Field #1, and 8-1 on Field #2.
The games were played simultaneously on adjacent fields.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning affairs, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra inning to allow Cubs and Giants pitchers to get their scheduled work.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, R, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (3-1, F-7, 6-3)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K+WP, R, 2 SB)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, R)
6. Max Kwan, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Blair Springfield, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-3, F-8)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-7, K, F-7)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY – NO AB
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 46 pitches (22 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
2. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Johan DeJesus: 2-3 CS, 1 PO
SQUAD “A” OUTFIELD DEFENSE:
RF Blair Springfield threw out batter-runner 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-9, 3-1, 6-3)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, F-9, BB)
3. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 6-3 DP)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, BB)
5. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, F-7, K)
6. Jose Valdez, DH: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
7. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-3, BB, 1B)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (L-8, 5-4 FC, 5-3 DP)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 52 pitches (26 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 40 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Rodriguez’s second inning was stopped with one out when he reached his max pitch limit
4. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Dusty already has blue and red wrist bands.
a day old, but fwiw...
Carrie Muskat @CarrieMuskat · Oct 4
Theo and Jed at Miller Park to talk to #Cubs Maddon and staff. Playoff roster to be finalized by Wednesday morning
I'm guessing the order is the other way around.
cc sab going into alcohol rehab, missing the post-season for the yanks.
no bud black? cold.
Break up the Cubs!
MLB.com throws out two names to manage the Nats: Dave Martinez and Wally Backman.
matt williams (WAS) fired...shocker. he lost control and confidence of that clubhouse way before papelbum got there.
having a roster chock full of egomaniacs and assholes doesn't help.
he won 'manager of the year' last year, fwiw.
If he were dealing with Chicago traffic, I would take my chances with the golf cart.
You can get to the MKE airport from Miller Park via all surface streets, no real reason to get on the expressway. Unless he is in a real hurry to get to Az.
CUBSTER: I would think a cab or a limo would get Motte to the airport faster than a golf cart. The maximum speed of a golf cart is (what?) maybe 15 MPH, which could actually be dangerous on an expressway.
from the Sunday Trib...
Reliever Jason Motte waved as he left the visitor’s clubhouse at Miller Park on a golf cart en route to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona to start a rehab assignment.
Motte has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 24 because of a right shoulder strain, but there’s a possibility he could rejoin the Cubs if they advance deep in the playoffs.
Motte is scheduled to pitch in simulated games and in Instructional League games in Arizona.
8 in a row to end the year...let's do this playoffs thing.
shelby miller (ATL) finishes the season with a win, snapping his 24-game winless streak...because ATL bats are non-existent.
3.02 era, 1.25 whip, 205.1ip, 171K
Totally independent of the Cubs winning or losing today, Dan Haren came into today's game having earned $2M of his potential $3M in performance bonuses for 2015.
By making the start (his 32nd start of the season) he picked up $500K, and he'll get the remaining $500K if he can throw at least 8.2 IP in the game (he was at 181.1 IP coming into the game, and he needs to reach 190 IP to get the remaining $500K),
It's a bit like the old "Bowling for Dollars" TV show, but of course Haren is actually "Pitching for Dollars."
holy crap, MIL is just...awful.
i think he's currently playing for the Santo Domingo Meths. he's an Adderall-Star player there.