Giants Take Cubs Deep for Sweep
Charles Jones, Joseph Staley, and Gabriel Cornier cracked home runs to power the EXST Giants to a doubleheader sweep over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 5-3 on Field #1, and 8-1 on Field #2.
The games were played simultaneously on adjacent fields.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning affairs, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra inning to allow Cubs and Giants pitchers to get their scheduled work.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, R, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (3-1, F-7, 6-3)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K+WP, R, 2 SB)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, R)
6. Max Kwan, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Blair Springfield, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-3, F-8)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-7, K, F-7)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY – NO AB
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 46 pitches (22 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
2. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Johan DeJesus: 2-3 CS, 1 PO
SQUAD “A” OUTFIELD DEFENSE:
RF Blair Springfield threw out batter-runner 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-9, 3-1, 6-3)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, F-9, BB)
3. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 6-3 DP)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, BB)
5. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, F-7, K)
6. Jose Valdez, DH: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
7. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-3, BB, 1B)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (L-8, 5-4 FC, 5-3 DP)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 52 pitches (26 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 40 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Rodriguez’s second inning was stopped with one out when he reached his max pitch limit
4. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
...yet...it's a thing that would happen if there were less 4-5 out innings...like a certain 30-pitch inning he had a couple starts ago. let's not let "good enough" be a stopping point when it could be better. it's a negative aspect of his game no matter how much melt-in-your-mouth-not-your-hand sugar coating one can pour over it.
this is a game of maximizing advantages and striving to prevent bad situations...no matter how much you come out on the other side smelling like roses.
he's 8th in innings pitched in baseball this year and has thrown over 200 innings in 7 of the last 8 seasons. He finished 21st in MLB in IP, 9th in the NL . Plus, going to your bullpen has a much different meaning in baseball the last few years anyway...
You're looking for a one percentage increase in performance from a guy already outperforming the league by 25-30%. Might as well ask be asking Anthony Rizzo to steal more bases.
In honor of playing Dusty tomorrow he's just clogging the bases.
...or he might have more innings under his belt to be very effective in his starts before going to the pen...among other things.
Wilson Contreras today for Iowa: 0-for-0 with 2 runs scored. 4 BB.
Ross has a 0.79 ERA and 0.97 WHIP. He has a pretty low K rate but he has a ridiculously low hard hit % and no HRS off him yet.
Small man gonna small.
Imagine if Schwarber was healthy.
J.Zimmermann with a 695 at the moment, Arrieta is second at 495. Ross apparently hasn't qualified yet with just 4 starts and 22 IP fwiw.
Cubs Foe Tomorrow -
The Cubs are facing young Joe Ross tomorrow night for the Nats.
He has an ERA+ of 542. NOT a typo.
I don't think I have seen that recently...
as if you hadn't noticed, but the Cubs are dominating baseball at the moment at a level that has not been seen too often in baseball history.
if only he could throw a ball to first base, he might have a negative ERA and the Cubs would be undefeated.
Thanks for the extensive scouting report.
How about that Lester. What a beast. A nifty 1.58 ERA/227 ERA+
Sean Rodriguez still a douche
Strop quick pitches him and so he jaws with Strop and Cubs dugout.
Get use to it Pauly Shore, Buccos are done