Giants Take Cubs Deep for Sweep
Charles Jones, Joseph Staley, and Gabriel Cornier cracked home runs to power the EXST Giants to a doubleheader sweep over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 5-3 on Field #1, and 8-1 on Field #2.
The games were played simultaneously on adjacent fields.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning affairs, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra inning to allow Cubs and Giants pitchers to get their scheduled work.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, R, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (3-1, F-7, 6-3)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K+WP, R, 2 SB)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, R)
6. Max Kwan, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Blair Springfield, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-3, F-8)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-7, K, F-7)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY – NO AB
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 46 pitches (22 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
2. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Johan DeJesus: 2-3 CS, 1 PO
SQUAD “A” OUTFIELD DEFENSE:
RF Blair Springfield threw out batter-runner 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-9, 3-1, 6-3)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, F-9, BB)
3. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 6-3 DP)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, BB)
5. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, F-7, K)
6. Jose Valdez, DH: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
7. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-3, BB, 1B)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (L-8, 5-4 FC, 5-3 DP)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 52 pitches (26 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 40 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Rodriguez’s second inning was stopped with one out when he reached his max pitch limit
4. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Classic ending, about 12:11 AM, CST. 5 hours, 3 minutes. Both teams have bases loaded, no out situations in the last inning.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?
Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:
- 2014: 2.5
- 2015: 1.0
- 2016: 2.6
But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.