Giants Take Cubs Deep for Sweep
Charles Jones, Joseph Staley, and Gabriel Cornier cracked home runs to power the EXST Giants to a doubleheader sweep over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 5-3 on Field #1, and 8-1 on Field #2.
The games were played simultaneously on adjacent fields.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning affairs, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra inning to allow Cubs and Giants pitchers to get their scheduled work.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, R, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (3-1, F-7, 6-3)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K+WP, R, 2 SB)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, R)
6. Max Kwan, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Blair Springfield, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-3, F-8)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-7, K, F-7)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY – NO AB
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Dustin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 46 pitches (22 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
2. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Johan DeJesus: 2-3 CS, 1 PO
SQUAD “A” OUTFIELD DEFENSE:
RF Blair Springfield threw out batter-runner 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-9, 3-1, 6-3)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, F-9, BB)
3. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 6-3 DP)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, BB)
5. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, F-7, K)
6. Jose Valdez, DH: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
7. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (P-3, BB, 1B)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (L-8, 5-4 FC, 5-3 DP)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 52 pitches (26 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 40 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Rodriguez’s second inning was stopped with one out when he reached his max pitch limit
4. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
good...he's been stinking up the durham bulls for a couple years now.
Rays DFA Hak-Ju Lee.
Olt for Lee and the circle of life is complete
dusty would have to start baez because both lastella + castro would be pitching because all the other pitcher's arms would have fallen off months ago. it would piss dusty off because baez is a rookie and theo couldn't go out and get him a 39 year old DH to play 2nd. i imagine it would be a 2-box-of-toothpicks night.
lou would have quit his job already, so that's irrelevant and a trick question.
just a theoretical thought...if Dusty was manager (WWDD) or if Lou (WWLD) was manager...
would Javy Baez be in tonight's lineup?
my thought is:
Dusty... Bonifacio would have been brought up and started at 2B
Lou..."I like playing the kids, really I do, but but but Jonathan Herrera really needs to play to stay sharp."
He was replying to tweet who said error should have been hit
Added a 'recent comments' block to the bottom of every 'story' page. Thought it might be helpful. Comments welcome
Jeff Russell and Rafael Soriano DFA's to make room for the callups (Berry and Cahill)
The next 4 weeks should answer this for us. If Castro starts hitting again and neither Baez or La Stella perform, he'd be on a playoff roster. If not, and one of those other two guys does well, I wouldn't be surprised if he was left off. A key error or mental lapse in a one game playoff would be killer and he is too prone to them.
To put a finer point on it, Baez playing second and hitting 7th tonight.
"This is the show. We have certain expectations here. That's why you don't play." from a Tweet from Arrieta. I who do you think he is talking about.
"This is the show. We have certain expectations here. That's why you don't play." --Jake Arrieta on Twitter.
I'll check back in on a day that Starlin doesn't make three errors. But for now I would say him not making the playoff roster is a stretch. Who do you trust more than Starlin to be a RH backup middle infielder? Herrera has no bat at all, and Baez has been in AAA all season and may be as error prone as Castro and may strike out a giant proportion of the time he's at the plate. I'm also less than convinced that La Stella will step in and be a significant contributor. Starlin is at least a big part of the 2B picture for the remainder of the year.
Sadly, nothing is sticking to the wall. The only thing still lingering is the smell from their pitching outings.
i think they were just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
they wanted to push for the post-season without giving up anything. thank gawd for the cubs winning tear and SF's failure tear...hopefully that holds up until the season ends.
once we're into the post-season (if that happens) then it doesn't matter about the 4-5 slot pitchers. arguably, the pen is much more important at that point when it comes to anyone but the top-3 starters.
Signing Haren was very curious, at best. An over-the-hill fly ball pitcher can survive at Wrigley in April, May & June, when it's cold and the wind tends to blow in (i.e. the ballpark plays "big"). But, signing him to pitch at Wrigley in July, August & Sept., when it's warm and the wind tends to blow out...well, Theo, what did you expect? Gotta believe the Reds will be running up to the plate to get their swings against Haren tonight.
Come on, offense -- we're gonna need another 6-7 runs tonight!
...or they could wait until tomorrow and haren can be DFA'd...maybe...probably not...sigh.
gotta imagine j.russell is on his way out at the very least.