Golden Jack and a Dong Dinger Today's Breakfast Specials at Fitch Park
Reggie Golden blasted a 400-ft+ three-run home run over the left-centerfield fence and Dong-Yub Kim cracked at two-run shot over the LF fence to lead the EXST Cubs to a 9-3 victory over the EXST Diamondbacks this morning at Fitch Park Field #2 in Mesa.
While the Cubs were playing the D’backs on Field #2 (Field #3 was not available), another squad of Cubs played a six-inning intrasquad “sim game” on Field #1, with pitchers Ryan Hartman, Alvido Jimenez, Starling Peralta, Yilver Sanchez, Amaury Paulino, and Joe Zeller throwing two innings a piece.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery) and RHP Su-Min Jung have completed their rehab assignments at Extended Spring Training and have been moved-up to Peoria. Bristow has looked better with each outing, and looks to be about back to where he was in 2009. Bristow throws a 93 MPH fastball, a change, and a curve, and he should be able to pitch multiple innings for the Chiefs. Jung has been stretched-out as a starter at EXST, so he should be able to start or "piggyback" (as needed).
Here is today’s abridged box score for the EXST game at Fitch Park Field #2 (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-5 (K, F-8, F-9, K, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-5 (4-3, 4-3, K, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 2-4 (1B, BB, 4-3, K, 2B, 2 RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, L-6, K)
5. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (BB, K, HR, F-8, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-U, F-9, R)
8a. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
8b. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
9. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-8, E-3, R, SB)
1. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (26 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (12 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 2B Marco Hernandez E4 – dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Great article on Yosh and Nobe. Thanks for including it Trans.
jeebus... that's terrible.
*clap* *clap* *clap*
Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.
Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.
The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.
Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).
yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.
dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.
Tony LaRussa, still an idiot