Golden Jack and a Dong Dinger Today's Breakfast Specials at Fitch Park
Reggie Golden blasted a 400-ft+ three-run home run over the left-centerfield fence and Dong-Yub Kim cracked at two-run shot over the LF fence to lead the EXST Cubs to a 9-3 victory over the EXST Diamondbacks this morning at Fitch Park Field #2 in Mesa.
While the Cubs were playing the D’backs on Field #2 (Field #3 was not available), another squad of Cubs played a six-inning intrasquad “sim game” on Field #1, with pitchers Ryan Hartman, Alvido Jimenez, Starling Peralta, Yilver Sanchez, Amaury Paulino, and Joe Zeller throwing two innings a piece.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery) and RHP Su-Min Jung have completed their rehab assignments at Extended Spring Training and have been moved-up to Peoria. Bristow has looked better with each outing, and looks to be about back to where he was in 2009. Bristow throws a 93 MPH fastball, a change, and a curve, and he should be able to pitch multiple innings for the Chiefs. Jung has been stretched-out as a starter at EXST, so he should be able to start or "piggyback" (as needed).
Here is today’s abridged box score for the EXST game at Fitch Park Field #2 (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-5 (K, F-8, F-9, K, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-5 (4-3, 4-3, K, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 2-4 (1B, BB, 4-3, K, 2B, 2 RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, L-6, K)
5. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (BB, K, HR, F-8, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-U, F-9, R)
8a. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
8b. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
9. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-8, E-3, R, SB)
1. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (26 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (12 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 2B Marco Hernandez E4 – dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora