Golden Jack and a Dong Dinger Today's Breakfast Specials at Fitch Park
Reggie Golden blasted a 400-ft+ three-run home run over the left-centerfield fence and Dong-Yub Kim cracked at two-run shot over the LF fence to lead the EXST Cubs to a 9-3 victory over the EXST Diamondbacks this morning at Fitch Park Field #2 in Mesa.
While the Cubs were playing the D’backs on Field #2 (Field #3 was not available), another squad of Cubs played a six-inning intrasquad “sim game” on Field #1, with pitchers Ryan Hartman, Alvido Jimenez, Starling Peralta, Yilver Sanchez, Amaury Paulino, and Joe Zeller throwing two innings a piece.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery) and RHP Su-Min Jung have completed their rehab assignments at Extended Spring Training and have been moved-up to Peoria. Bristow has looked better with each outing, and looks to be about back to where he was in 2009. Bristow throws a 93 MPH fastball, a change, and a curve, and he should be able to pitch multiple innings for the Chiefs. Jung has been stretched-out as a starter at EXST, so he should be able to start or "piggyback" (as needed).
Here is today’s abridged box score for the EXST game at Fitch Park Field #2 (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-5 (K, F-8, F-9, K, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-5 (4-3, 4-3, K, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 2-4 (1B, BB, 4-3, K, 2B, 2 RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, L-6, K)
5. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (BB, K, HR, F-8, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-U, F-9, R)
8a. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
8b. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
9. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-8, E-3, R, SB)
1. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (26 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (12 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 2B Marco Hernandez E4 – dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?
That was extremely disappointing.
Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.
Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.
It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.
Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th
This is the exact game that the Cubs would have lost in years past to the Cardinals.
Arrieta starting. Leads of 6-1 and 9-4. You don't expect to have such a sense of relief when they win.
At least the end result was worth the wait.
I guess he's better than what they've had. He started out like the Babe there.
Fair enough, but Castro isn't really very good.
I can just hear Pat Hughes chortling "typical Cubs-Cards game..."
As long as Maddon uses him against RH he is good. Against LH - not so much.
His recent HR's obviously have not been great pitches.
So, let's just say my personal confidence in the guy is not there yet.
not that I'm agreeing with E-Man in anyway here, but Warren's FIP and peripherals are not really good (5.20 FIP/5.19 BB/9/.128 BABIP), although his actual results are a lot better. Well until today...
Trade was also to make room for Zobrist and it'll be a few years before we can really judge it.
Eventually, the Maddon "play everyone everywhere" thing was going to create a problem.
This ump blows.