Golden Jack and a Dong Dinger Today's Breakfast Specials at Fitch Park
Reggie Golden blasted a 400-ft+ three-run home run over the left-centerfield fence and Dong-Yub Kim cracked at two-run shot over the LF fence to lead the EXST Cubs to a 9-3 victory over the EXST Diamondbacks this morning at Fitch Park Field #2 in Mesa.
While the Cubs were playing the D’backs on Field #2 (Field #3 was not available), another squad of Cubs played a six-inning intrasquad “sim game” on Field #1, with pitchers Ryan Hartman, Alvido Jimenez, Starling Peralta, Yilver Sanchez, Amaury Paulino, and Joe Zeller throwing two innings a piece.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery) and RHP Su-Min Jung have completed their rehab assignments at Extended Spring Training and have been moved-up to Peoria. Bristow has looked better with each outing, and looks to be about back to where he was in 2009. Bristow throws a 93 MPH fastball, a change, and a curve, and he should be able to pitch multiple innings for the Chiefs. Jung has been stretched-out as a starter at EXST, so he should be able to start or "piggyback" (as needed).
Here is today’s abridged box score for the EXST game at Fitch Park Field #2 (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-5 (K, F-8, F-9, K, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-5 (4-3, 4-3, K, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 2-4 (1B, BB, 4-3, K, 2B, 2 RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, L-6, K)
5. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (BB, K, HR, F-8, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-U, F-9, R)
8a. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
8b. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
9. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-8, E-3, R, SB)
1. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (26 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (12 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 2B Marco Hernandez E4 – dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus