Golden Jack and a Dong Dinger Today's Breakfast Specials at Fitch Park
Reggie Golden blasted a 400-ft+ three-run home run over the left-centerfield fence and Dong-Yub Kim cracked at two-run shot over the LF fence to lead the EXST Cubs to a 9-3 victory over the EXST Diamondbacks this morning at Fitch Park Field #2 in Mesa.
While the Cubs were playing the D’backs on Field #2 (Field #3 was not available), another squad of Cubs played a six-inning intrasquad “sim game” on Field #1, with pitchers Ryan Hartman, Alvido Jimenez, Starling Peralta, Yilver Sanchez, Amaury Paulino, and Joe Zeller throwing two innings a piece.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery) and RHP Su-Min Jung have completed their rehab assignments at Extended Spring Training and have been moved-up to Peoria. Bristow has looked better with each outing, and looks to be about back to where he was in 2009. Bristow throws a 93 MPH fastball, a change, and a curve, and he should be able to pitch multiple innings for the Chiefs. Jung has been stretched-out as a starter at EXST, so he should be able to start or "piggyback" (as needed).
Here is today’s abridged box score for the EXST game at Fitch Park Field #2 (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-5 (K, F-8, F-9, K, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-5 (4-3, 4-3, K, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 2-4 (1B, BB, 4-3, K, 2B, 2 RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, L-6, K)
5. Chad Noble, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (BB, K, HR, F-8, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-U, F-9, R)
8a. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
8b. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
9. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-8, E-3, R, SB)
1. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (26 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (12 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras E5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 2B Marco Hernandez E4 – dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
yeah, she's not on this game, though.
they keep talking about things that aren't this game...a lot...rather than calling this game, doing split screen coverage of other games, doing split screen studio banter...and they just finished cutting away from the game totally (no split screen) to cover another game while missing rizzo's K and the first 2 pitches of zobrist's AB.
ESPN...because screw you, you weren't really tuning in to watch this.
Phil, I think I read an earlier take that you don't see much of an ML career for Brooks? I kinda thought when he was acquired it was as depth for this year, but with an eye on the Cahill type swing role next year?
Then again he did get hit around pretty bad in his big league time last year.
Is Jessica Mendoza still announcing for ESPN? She is excellent from what I remember and actually talks knowledgeably about baseball.
watching a game on ESPN is one of the worst things a fan of whatever team is on the field can do...this is, once again, turrible.
I'll put pix on Twitter
Actually behind press box
Yeah great tix
Looks like Bryan Hudson is the new Randy Johnson: his height will always be part of his name.
Seriously? Envious. Enjoy the game!
Working through the evening, so no recappage, but hope people will come cheer on the Cubs in Parachat.
I'm sitting behind Cubs dugout near the end
Wearing Cubs visor
Brewers just claimed him
Before Wood,Strop, Rondon yesterday
Elias: 99 yrs. since a bullpen threw at least 7 perfect innings. last time 6/23/17 by Boston. Ernie Shore retired last 26 after Babe Ruth ejected for arguing balls and strikes after walking lead off hitter. Runner was caught stealing.
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname