Spreading around a little Sports Illustrated Cover jinx...

Not that it happens all the time, but whenever a Cub or couple Cubs somehow make the cover of Sports Illustrated, I feel compelled to visually even out the jinx.

Of course you've seen the Starlin Castro issue of SI, right?

Why would they do that to such a young, innocent kid?
What's wrong with a nice buddy shot of Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman, tearing up the league with their torrid bats? Or home run-hittin' good lookin' enough to be a Calvin Klein underwear model Ryan Braunie in his tricked out Milwaukee hot tub? Did you know Astro Hunter Pence is 4th in the NL with 25 RBIs? He'd be AWESOME on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and the photographer's challenge would be to capture him mid-throw, so we can see his textbook semi shot-put technique.

But leave our guys alone, man.

Anyway, just spreading a little of that jinxy feeling to other, more deserving NL Central teams, I give you another SI swimsuit cover featuring a pale Casey McGehee, a cool and detached Colby Rasmus, and the always engaging Joey Votto.

And now: it's a gorgeous day, it's the Reds at Wrigley, and it's Edinson Volquez vs. Matt Garza fresh off his first Cub W.

Go Cubs.

Comments

+1 as the kids like to say

McGehee looks a lot like Q-Ball in that drawing.

Volquez walks about 5 every inning or something like that, but this will have no effect on today's game.

just cause I had to check, Cubs as a team are 2nd in NL in batting average, 15th in walks, 6th in Slugging, 5th in OBP and OPS but are tied for 10th in runs scored per game.

OPS with Runners On is 14th in NL, 15th with RISP

~sigh~

Obviously they need more speed. Soriano for Pierre?

I was going to go with try not to put your worst hitters in the middle of the lineup behind all the guys getting on-base.

Hmm..the Cubs? We are talking about the Cubs right?

Take your radical talk somewhere else, pinko!

Today's lineup from Len and bob twitter
Kosuke9/Barney4/Castro6/Ramirez5/MLHRldr7/Byrd8/Pena3/Geo2/Garza1

soriano hits 5th...finally.

now if we could get get geo out of the 8 slot...

But he's slow.

b.guyer (TB) called up after tearing up AAA.

s.fuld is 2-35...yow.

We should trade Fukudome for Fuld.

Archer and Chirinos still struggling. Lee looking like he's going to be a top 20 prospect by the end of the year.

Starlin Castro's last ten games: .143 .163 .167 .329
pencil him into the third spot

btw, Geo Soto's last ten: .242 .390 .576 .966

Until Guyer came along, Desmond Jennings thought he was TB's best outfield prospect.

Super two status, look it up

So what you're saying is that they really wanted Jennings, but they're saving him.

That's possible. I just think .356/.412/.606/1.018 trumps .288/.405/.433/.837. Guyer is coming off a much better year, too.

Guyer homers.

Davis likely to be the starter on May 14th

For those who care about this kind of thing.

They should get Leon Durham to join him in the booth.

Parachat bitches

wind blowing out, I feel Garza's HR-less streak is about to end

way to go nostradumass

so sayeth the oracle
3-1

Wrigley is half empty.. so I'm guessing "paid" attendance 35,471

More like 75%, Captain Exaggeration.

you must be seeing double there Captain Morgan.

You must have only turned the game on after the seventh inning when the wind shifted and it started raining a little. I was at the game, maybe on your 13 inch tv it didn't look crowded because half of the crowd was 16 or younger, and they are small.

Yet Koyie Hill continues to be employed?

I think he was hitting like Koyie Hill

• Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.

billybucks 1 min 37 sec ago view
  • ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

• chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

• the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

• Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

• Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 6 hours 3 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 6 hours 28 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 6 hours 28 min ago view