Geiger Counters Giant Rally with Walk-Off H-Bomb
After watching the EXST Giants score four runs in the top of the 7th inning (last inning) to take an 8-7 lead, Dustin Geiger slugged a two-out three-run game-winning walk-off HR in the bottom of the 7th to give the EXST Cubs a 10-8 victory over the Giants on Field #3 and a split in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The Giants edged the Cubs 2-1 in the game that was played on Field #2. Both games were seven-inning affairs.
The 19-year old 6’3 200+ Geiger was the Cubs 2010 24th round draft pick out of Merritt Island HS (Brevard County, FL), receiving an “overslot” bonus ($150K) to give up a chance to play college ball at nearby U. of Central Florida. He has struggled at the plate for much of his short Cub minor league career, but the big RH hitter had a really big day at the plate today, reaching base all four times he batted (two singles, a walk, and the game-winning HR), while driving-in four runs.
Also on Field #3, 19-year old Kyung-Min Na had three hits (two singles and a double) and two stolen bases, scored two runs, and knocked-in two more, while making a couple of nice running catches in the outfield. Na received a reported $725K bonus when he signed with the Cubs in 2009, and at the time was rated by all the scouts who saw him play as the “fastest HS player in South Korea.”
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Gregori Gonzalez, SS: 1-2 (K, 3B, BB, HBP, R)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (2B, F-9 SF, 1-3, 6-4 FC, RBI)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (5-4 FC, F-9, BB, K)
5. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 5-3, 6-4-3 DP)
6. Marco Hernandez, DH: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, F-7)
7. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-3 (K, E-6, 6-3)
8. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-3 (F-7, K, 3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, F-7)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 30 pitches (18 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 34 pitches (23 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gregori Gonzalez - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Charles Thomas - E1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-6 FC, HBP, K, CS)
2. Reggie Golden, DH #1: 0-4 (P-4, P-3, P-6, K)
3. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, K, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K, R, SB)
5a. Brian Inoa, C: 2-2 (1B, BB, 1B, R, RBI)
5b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FINAL TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, 6-3, E-5, R, RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (3-1, 4-3, 3-U, SH-E1, R, RBI)
8. Johan DeJesus, DH #2: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 1-5 FC, 2 R, RBI, SB)
9. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 3-4 (2B, 1B, 1B, 1-4 FC, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
10. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Austin Reed: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 54 pitches (28 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (12 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
NOTE: 7th inning was stopped with two outs when R. Garcia reached max pitch limit for that inning
SQUAD “B" ERRORS: 1
P Austin Reed - E1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed runner to advance from 1st base to 3rd base)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Brian Inoa: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.
Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.
Can't have everything, I guess.
i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.
Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.
Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...
Here's some defensive numbers:
- Crawford (22.2)
- Seager (16.9)
- Cozart (14.2)
- Hechavarria (13.5)
- Russell (12.4)
- B. Crawford 2.3
- Russell 2.0
- Hechavarria 1.7
- N. Ahmed 1.6
- Z. Cozart 1.5
13.C. Seager 0.7
.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned
Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?
Favorite Genesis video
Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna