Geiger Counters Giant Rally with Walk-Off H-Bomb
After watching the EXST Giants score four runs in the top of the 7th inning (last inning) to take an 8-7 lead, Dustin Geiger slugged a two-out three-run game-winning walk-off HR in the bottom of the 7th to give the EXST Cubs a 10-8 victory over the Giants on Field #3 and a split in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The Giants edged the Cubs 2-1 in the game that was played on Field #2. Both games were seven-inning affairs.
The 19-year old 6’3 200+ Geiger was the Cubs 2010 24th round draft pick out of Merritt Island HS (Brevard County, FL), receiving an “overslot” bonus ($150K) to give up a chance to play college ball at nearby U. of Central Florida. He has struggled at the plate for much of his short Cub minor league career, but the big RH hitter had a really big day at the plate today, reaching base all four times he batted (two singles, a walk, and the game-winning HR), while driving-in four runs.
Also on Field #3, 19-year old Kyung-Min Na had three hits (two singles and a double) and two stolen bases, scored two runs, and knocked-in two more, while making a couple of nice running catches in the outfield. Na received a reported $725K bonus when he signed with the Cubs in 2009, and at the time was rated by all the scouts who saw him play as the “fastest HS player in South Korea.”
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Gregori Gonzalez, SS: 1-2 (K, 3B, BB, HBP, R)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (2B, F-9 SF, 1-3, 6-4 FC, RBI)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (5-4 FC, F-9, BB, K)
5. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 5-3, 6-4-3 DP)
6. Marco Hernandez, DH: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, F-7)
7. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-3 (K, E-6, 6-3)
8. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-3 (F-7, K, 3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, F-7)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 30 pitches (18 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 34 pitches (23 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gregori Gonzalez - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Charles Thomas - E1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-6 FC, HBP, K, CS)
2. Reggie Golden, DH #1: 0-4 (P-4, P-3, P-6, K)
3. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, K, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K, R, SB)
5a. Brian Inoa, C: 2-2 (1B, BB, 1B, R, RBI)
5b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FINAL TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, 6-3, E-5, R, RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (3-1, 4-3, 3-U, SH-E1, R, RBI)
8. Johan DeJesus, DH #2: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 1-5 FC, 2 R, RBI, SB)
9. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 3-4 (2B, 1B, 1B, 1-4 FC, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
10. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Austin Reed: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 54 pitches (28 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (12 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
NOTE: 7th inning was stopped with two outs when R. Garcia reached max pitch limit for that inning
SQUAD “B" ERRORS: 1
P Austin Reed - E1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed runner to advance from 1st base to 3rd base)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Brian Inoa: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.