A's Roll Past Cubs at Fitch Park
Diomendes Lopez slugged a three-run home run to cap a four-run 7th inning, and the EXST A’s cruised to an 8-2 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Oakland closer Andrew Bailey (15-day DL - forearm strain) started the game for the EXST A’s, working 1.1 IP (18 pitches), and allowing one run (earned) on two hits, with no walks and no strikeouts. Although he did not record any strikeouts, his fastball was topping out at 94 MPH.
And after missing a couple of games after being hit on the foot by an Andrew Cashner fastball in a “live” pre-game BP session on Thursday, Iowa Cubs SS Augie Ojeda (DL rehab assignment - back injured during Spring Training) returned to the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing shortstop for six innings and getting three AB. Once again, Augie went hitless, flying out to CF in the bottom of the 1st inning, grounding out to 2B in the 3rd inning, and bouncing-out to the pitcher in the 6th. So far, Ojeda has gone 0-13 in three EXST games, although he appears to be moving around with no difficulty, both at-bat and in the field.
In EXST Cubs roster news, speedy 19-year old Korean OF Kyung-Min Na has been promoted to AA Tennessee from Extended Spring Training. In the 16 Extended Spring Training games that I saw him play, Na hit 327/397/385 in 58 PA, with three doubles, 6/9 BB/K, two GIDP, and five SB (one CS). He also made a number of outstanding defensive plays in CF. I doubt very much that this move is permanent (Tennessee outfielders Jim Adduci and Brett Jackson both went on the 7-day DL recently), but it is an indication that the Cubs player development staff believe Na is ready to be challenged.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (1B, P-4, K, K+PB, R, SB)
2a. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 1-3)
2b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FINAL TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-4 (2B, 4-3, K, F-8, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, K, 1B)
5a. Chad Noble, C-DH: 0-1 (F-9, BB)
5b. Yaniel Cabezas, PH-DH: 0-2 (4-3, 6-4-3 DP)
6a. Marcos Hernandez, 2B: 0-1 (3-1)
6b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K)
7. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-3 (K, P-5, 5-3)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, 3-U)
9. Dustin Geiger, DH #1: 0-3 (4-3 DP, 1-3, 5-3)
10. Johan DeJesus, DH-C: 1-3 (L-4, K, 1B, R)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Wes Darvill, DH-SS: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 55 pitches (28 strikes), 2/6 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (21 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K,32 pitches (19 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 28 pitches (18 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
5. Manolin DeLeon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras - E5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score)
2. LF Eduardo Gonzalez - E7 (fielding error allowed batter and runner to advance an extra base)
3. P Santo Rodriguez - E1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
1. Chad Noble: 3-3 CS
2. Johan DeJesus: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.
Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."
9 runs in 4 games. Zobrist slumping. Russell having a tough time. Almora not a contact guy. They miss Fowler big time.
Bring the A-Team back.
4 losses in a row for the 1st time this season.
RIP 2016 cubs.
i'll never forget clayton richard throwing that 1 inning that didn't suck.
see you guys next season.
Yeesh. Shut down innings a thing of the past for the Cubbies
Not the best of nights for Russell - should of nailed Stanton at second on Ross's throw but mishandles it ... so of course Stanton comes around and scores as well
Guys, I've decided to focus on the first awesome two and a half months instead of this disastrous end to the season. Remember Arrieta's no-no, Contreras's first-ever-pitch HR, all the amazing defensive gems by Baez?
We'll get 'em next year!
David Fuckin Ross!!!
That Baez almost-out defensive play was bonkers.
2- if miami was a team with decent runners i'd be more scared...or if they get guys on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs
3- yes...he could use a roid re-up
wow...miami's running game is even weaker than i thought. stolen bases is a lazy way to gauge running quality, but tonight's lineup has 7 SBs on the year and it's only 2 guys. they have 19 total SB and 6 of those are d.gordon...and 6 are ichiro. only 4 guys on the roster all season have successfully stolen a base and 1 is suspended.
1) If Cubs are going to play a catcher at 1B, why not just gear him up and call it second home plate and see if they can trick Lester into throwing there every now and again.
2) Between Lester on the mound, and a catcher at 1B, bunting might be lucrative for the Marlins.
3) Barry Bonds looks deflated. I mean physically.
Smokies lineup sure could use the help. Promotions of Candalario and Zagunis to Iowa crippled the offense - McKinney's continued power outage not helping things.
wow happ...i thought they'd "go slow" with his development because of the lack of need and giving him time to try to stick at 2nd. neat.
he turns 22 in a couple months.