A's Roll Past Cubs at Fitch Park
Diomendes Lopez slugged a three-run home run to cap a four-run 7th inning, and the EXST A’s cruised to an 8-2 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Oakland closer Andrew Bailey (15-day DL - forearm strain) started the game for the EXST A’s, working 1.1 IP (18 pitches), and allowing one run (earned) on two hits, with no walks and no strikeouts. Although he did not record any strikeouts, his fastball was topping out at 94 MPH.
And after missing a couple of games after being hit on the foot by an Andrew Cashner fastball in a “live” pre-game BP session on Thursday, Iowa Cubs SS Augie Ojeda (DL rehab assignment - back injured during Spring Training) returned to the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing shortstop for six innings and getting three AB. Once again, Augie went hitless, flying out to CF in the bottom of the 1st inning, grounding out to 2B in the 3rd inning, and bouncing-out to the pitcher in the 6th. So far, Ojeda has gone 0-13 in three EXST games, although he appears to be moving around with no difficulty, both at-bat and in the field.
In EXST Cubs roster news, speedy 19-year old Korean OF Kyung-Min Na has been promoted to AA Tennessee from Extended Spring Training. In the 16 Extended Spring Training games that I saw him play, Na hit 327/397/385 in 58 PA, with three doubles, 6/9 BB/K, two GIDP, and five SB (one CS). He also made a number of outstanding defensive plays in CF. I doubt very much that this move is permanent (Tennessee outfielders Jim Adduci and Brett Jackson both went on the 7-day DL recently), but it is an indication that the Cubs player development staff believe Na is ready to be challenged.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (1B, P-4, K, K+PB, R, SB)
2a. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 1-3)
2b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FINAL TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-4 (2B, 4-3, K, F-8, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, K, 1B)
5a. Chad Noble, C-DH: 0-1 (F-9, BB)
5b. Yaniel Cabezas, PH-DH: 0-2 (4-3, 6-4-3 DP)
6a. Marcos Hernandez, 2B: 0-1 (3-1)
6b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K)
7. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-3 (K, P-5, 5-3)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, 3-U)
9. Dustin Geiger, DH #1: 0-3 (4-3 DP, 1-3, 5-3)
10. Johan DeJesus, DH-C: 1-3 (L-4, K, 1B, R)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Wes Darvill, DH-SS: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 55 pitches (28 strikes), 2/6 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (21 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K,32 pitches (19 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 28 pitches (18 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
5. Manolin DeLeon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
1. 3B Wilson Contreras - E5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and two unearned runs to score)
2. LF Eduardo Gonzalez - E7 (fielding error allowed batter and runner to advance an extra base)
3. P Santo Rodriguez - E1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
1. Chad Noble: 3-3 CS
2. Johan DeJesus: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
...the wrong half.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.