Pitching & Timely Hitting Key to Cub Success at Salt River Fields
Dong-Yub Kim and Brandon May smacked back-to-back two out RBI doubles to key a two-run 1st inning that propelled one squad of EXST Cubs to a 5-2 victory over one squad of EXST Rockies on Red Mountain Field, while Yao-Lin Wang, Jin-Young Kim, and Starling Peralta combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Rockies 3-0 on Dust Storm Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action at Salt River Fields at the Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale this morning.
The games were played simultaneously, and both games were seven-inning affairs.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and Iowa SS Augie Ojeda (back) continued their injury rehab assignments in today’s game on Red Mountain Field, with Wright playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 with a single, a HBP, a stolen base, and two runs scored, and Ojeda playing SS for five innings and going 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3).
Only one pair of umpires showed up, so the game on Red Mountain Field was umpired by Rockies and Cubs coaches.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 3-U, F-7, 2B)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (F-9, 1B, 3B, F-7, R, SB)
4. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3, HBP, R)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-2 (1-3, HBP, 1B)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-7, P-6, CS)
8. Blair Springfield, DH: 0-3 (F-9, F-8, 6-3)
9. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, K, 6-3, CS)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Yao-Lin Wang: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE:
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-1 CS
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD:
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, RBI, PO)
2. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
3. Ty Wright, LF-DH: 1-2 (1B, HBP, L-4, 2 R, SB)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-3 (2B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB)
7a. Carlos Romero, DH #2: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, CS)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Rafael Valdes, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-8, F-7, R)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-1 (2-3, HBP, SB)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-2 (1B, F-7, R, RBI)
11a. Xavier Batista, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Oliver Zapata, PH-LF: 0-1 (5-3)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Matt Loosen: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Jose Rosario: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 45 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jean Sandoval: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Today's Loss puts new meaning into their national anthem: O Canada
LaTroy does what he's always done best, blow games on the line. Still breaking management hearts at age 42.
I'm sure Fox is thrilled with the ratings potential of a Rangers + Astros ALCS. Ha.
LaTroy is going to LaTroy
I am remarkably calm about today's game. Not that I am expecting to win, but that I have no expectations at all either way.
If the Cubs game goes to 14 innings, I will no longer be calm.
TEX/TOR in the 14th inning, btw...fun stuff.
Yay! KB at 3B!
Molina in the Cards lineup.
Fowler (CF), Schwarber (RF!), Bryant (3B), Rizzo (1B), Castro (2B), Coughlan (LF), Russell (SS), Ross (C), Lester (P)
If the baseball gods would guarantee that result, I'd take it :-).
I wonder if it is about numbers specifically against the Mets. But, it could also be because Kershaw can go 9 innings everytime, while Grienke very rarely makes it through the game. They don't want to expose their weak bullpen.
I have trouble getting past the extraordinary 1.66 ERA, but I don't know what the heck will happen with the Cy Young vote this year.
So Kershaw is opening the series for the Dodgers. How, then, does Greinke get the Cy Young? Not even the best pitcher on his team!
You have angered the baseball gods. Now Lester will lose and Hendricks will win.
Cubs go home 1-1, with Arrieta starting game 3, I like our chances in this series. Tomorrow's pitching matchup is lousy on paper, so today is obviously crucial.
Will be fun to watch. My two keys are scoring early, and keeping Lester's pitch count below 15 per inning.
Hopefully Der Kaiser won't be doing this until December
So, yes, I have been quoting your, "mediocre pitcher" label all year in jest - good or bad.
He has been pretty filthy against the Cards, and this is the game they need to "steal".
I am hoping against hope that Pedro Strop only sees the mound if the Cubs are up 8 in a game.