Pitching & Timely Hitting Key to Cub Success at Salt River Fields
Dong-Yub Kim and Brandon May smacked back-to-back two out RBI doubles to key a two-run 1st inning that propelled one squad of EXST Cubs to a 5-2 victory over one squad of EXST Rockies on Red Mountain Field, while Yao-Lin Wang, Jin-Young Kim, and Starling Peralta combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Rockies 3-0 on Dust Storm Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action at Salt River Fields at the Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale this morning.
The games were played simultaneously, and both games were seven-inning affairs.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and Iowa SS Augie Ojeda (back) continued their injury rehab assignments in today’s game on Red Mountain Field, with Wright playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 with a single, a HBP, a stolen base, and two runs scored, and Ojeda playing SS for five innings and going 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3).
Only one pair of umpires showed up, so the game on Red Mountain Field was umpired by Rockies and Cubs coaches.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 3-U, F-7, 2B)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (F-9, 1B, 3B, F-7, R, SB)
4. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3, HBP, R)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-2 (1-3, HBP, 1B)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-7, P-6, CS)
8. Blair Springfield, DH: 0-3 (F-9, F-8, 6-3)
9. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, K, 6-3, CS)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Yao-Lin Wang: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE:
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-1 CS
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD:
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, RBI, PO)
2. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
3. Ty Wright, LF-DH: 1-2 (1B, HBP, L-4, 2 R, SB)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-3 (2B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB)
7a. Carlos Romero, DH #2: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, CS)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Rafael Valdes, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-8, F-7, R)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-1 (2-3, HBP, SB)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-2 (1B, F-7, R, RBI)
11a. Xavier Batista, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Oliver Zapata, PH-LF: 0-1 (5-3)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Matt Loosen: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Jose Rosario: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 45 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jean Sandoval: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.