Pitching & Timely Hitting Key to Cub Success at Salt River Fields
Dong-Yub Kim and Brandon May smacked back-to-back two out RBI doubles to key a two-run 1st inning that propelled one squad of EXST Cubs to a 5-2 victory over one squad of EXST Rockies on Red Mountain Field, while Yao-Lin Wang, Jin-Young Kim, and Starling Peralta combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Rockies 3-0 on Dust Storm Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action at Salt River Fields at the Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale this morning.
The games were played simultaneously, and both games were seven-inning affairs.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and Iowa SS Augie Ojeda (back) continued their injury rehab assignments in today’s game on Red Mountain Field, with Wright playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 with a single, a HBP, a stolen base, and two runs scored, and Ojeda playing SS for five innings and going 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3).
Only one pair of umpires showed up, so the game on Red Mountain Field was umpired by Rockies and Cubs coaches.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 3-U, F-7, 2B)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (F-9, 1B, 3B, F-7, R, SB)
4. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3, HBP, R)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-2 (1-3, HBP, 1B)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-7, P-6, CS)
8. Blair Springfield, DH: 0-3 (F-9, F-8, 6-3)
9. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, K, 6-3, CS)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Yao-Lin Wang: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE:
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-1 CS
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD:
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, RBI, PO)
2. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
3. Ty Wright, LF-DH: 1-2 (1B, HBP, L-4, 2 R, SB)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-3 (2B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB)
7a. Carlos Romero, DH #2: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, CS)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Rafael Valdes, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-8, F-7, R)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-1 (2-3, HBP, SB)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-2 (1B, F-7, R, RBI)
11a. Xavier Batista, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Oliver Zapata, PH-LF: 0-1 (5-3)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Matt Loosen: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Jose Rosario: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 45 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jean Sandoval: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.