Pitching & Timely Hitting Key to Cub Success at Salt River Fields
Dong-Yub Kim and Brandon May smacked back-to-back two out RBI doubles to key a two-run 1st inning that propelled one squad of EXST Cubs to a 5-2 victory over one squad of EXST Rockies on Red Mountain Field, while Yao-Lin Wang, Jin-Young Kim, and Starling Peralta combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Rockies 3-0 on Dust Storm Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action at Salt River Fields at the Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale this morning.
The games were played simultaneously, and both games were seven-inning affairs.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and Iowa SS Augie Ojeda (back) continued their injury rehab assignments in today’s game on Red Mountain Field, with Wright playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 with a single, a HBP, a stolen base, and two runs scored, and Ojeda playing SS for five innings and going 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3).
Only one pair of umpires showed up, so the game on Red Mountain Field was umpired by Rockies and Cubs coaches.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 3-U, F-7, 2B)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (F-9, 1B, 3B, F-7, R, SB)
4. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3, HBP, R)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-2 (1-3, HBP, 1B)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-7, P-6, CS)
8. Blair Springfield, DH: 0-3 (F-9, F-8, 6-3)
9. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, K, 6-3, CS)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Yao-Lin Wang: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE:
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-1 CS
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD:
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, RBI, PO)
2. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
3. Ty Wright, LF-DH: 1-2 (1B, HBP, L-4, 2 R, SB)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-3 (2B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB)
7a. Carlos Romero, DH #2: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, CS)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Rafael Valdes, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-8, F-7, R)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-1 (2-3, HBP, SB)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-2 (1B, F-7, R, RBI)
11a. Xavier Batista, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Oliver Zapata, PH-LF: 0-1 (5-3)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Matt Loosen: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Jose Rosario: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 45 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jean Sandoval: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Buddy Ryan takes his place alongside George Allen as the great Bear head coaches who never were.
Well, at least he can still hit: Jake slashing .294/.368/.868. Forget hitting 8th -- he should hit 6th.
Curious to see today's lineup vs. a LHP: Ross needs to catch Lester, Joe likes Javy at 3B when Lester pitches. Heyward with back-to-back good games at the plate, and is actually hitting a little better against LHP (.247/.341) than RHP (.232/.321), although neither is much to write home about. But, tomorrow is an early day game, so some regulars will probably sit either today or tomorrow.
Maybe Willson in LF, KB in RF and Almora in CF? If so, Albert Jr., assume every ball is yours.
"Pitching prospects not looking so hot"
That reminds me that Lucas Giolito will start for the Nats tonight.
Well, there you go. Federowicz is one of the best at balls in the dirt.
Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:
"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
"No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"
How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.
Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.
2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.
Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.
Contreras keeps hitting/walking like this, and Miggy keep up the poor D and lack of offense - the kid could be the #1 catcher very soon.
it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals lose the KC and the Pirates lost too.
...still trying to process what I just saw. From both KB and Jake. Walking Billy Hamilton twice is a cry for help. I think the nudie photos are messing with Jake's head.
Hopefully Peralta's time on the Cubs roster will be shorter than R. Soriano's.
it took 9 pitches for peralta to give up his 1st cubs homer. neat.
damn...totally missed that ruben quevedo died on june 7th. he was only 37...heart attack.
he threw some really horrible games for the cubs in 2000 and followed it up by doing the same for 3 season for the brewers.
Holy Kris Bryant what?!
Hitting 3 HR, 2 doubles in a game. Never been done in mlb history per Len/Bob.