Pitching & Timely Hitting Key to Cub Success at Salt River Fields
Dong-Yub Kim and Brandon May smacked back-to-back two out RBI doubles to key a two-run 1st inning that propelled one squad of EXST Cubs to a 5-2 victory over one squad of EXST Rockies on Red Mountain Field, while Yao-Lin Wang, Jin-Young Kim, and Starling Peralta combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Rockies 3-0 on Dust Storm Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action at Salt River Fields at the Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale this morning.
The games were played simultaneously, and both games were seven-inning affairs.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and Iowa SS Augie Ojeda (back) continued their injury rehab assignments in today’s game on Red Mountain Field, with Wright playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 with a single, a HBP, a stolen base, and two runs scored, and Ojeda playing SS for five innings and going 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3).
Only one pair of umpires showed up, so the game on Red Mountain Field was umpired by Rockies and Cubs coaches.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 3-U, F-7, 2B)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (F-9, 1B, 3B, F-7, R, SB)
4. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3, HBP, R)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-2 (1-3, HBP, 1B)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-7, P-6, CS)
8. Blair Springfield, DH: 0-3 (F-9, F-8, 6-3)
9. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, K, 6-3, CS)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Yao-Lin Wang: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE:
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-1 CS
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD:
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, RBI, PO)
2. Augie Ojeda, SS-DH: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
3. Ty Wright, LF-DH: 1-2 (1B, HBP, L-4, 2 R, SB)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 2-3 (2B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB)
7a. Carlos Romero, DH #2: 1-2 (P-5, 1B, CS)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Rafael Valdes, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-8, F-7, R)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-1 (2-3, HBP, SB)
10. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-2 (1B, F-7, R, RBI)
11a. Xavier Batista, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Oliver Zapata, PH-LF: 0-1 (5-3)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Matt Loosen: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Jose Rosario: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 45 pitches (26 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jean Sandoval: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Win tomorrow, and the Cubs would have a 6-game lead. On May 4.
Fully agree on Addy -- hope he is our SS for a long time. I'm just surprised he has 4 errors already -- the last 2 on routine plays.
Guess how many Carlos Correa has?
I would still rather have Russell, right now, than any shortstop the team has had in many years. The future is bright enough to wear shades.
EDIT: Gonzo WOULD have been my favorite, 'cepting a certain error of a double-play ball...
Hi Phil, made it home tonight safely. Looks like Cease is getting better each outing. I see Crow did ok today too. I will be reading your write_ups everyday. Great seeing you while there!
tomorrow's game is a 12:35pm EST game for some ungodly stupid reason...then it's back to wrigley field for a night game on the 5th.
The best part of tonight's game was 6 different players with RBIs. Truly a lineup that doesn't give up top to bottom.
excubs [email protected]_NEWS
Jake Arrieta first Cub to go 6-0 in first six starts since Three Finger Brown in 1908.
Russell now with 4 errors -- that's a big (unpleasant) surprise.
Throwing error to 2nd on a possible double play ball.
Can someone tell me what happened on Russell's error?
BILLY BUCKS: As things stand right now, Dylan Cease will be in the Eugene starting rotation when the NWL season begins play in June, and if he peforms well there he could perhaps move up to South Bend toward the end of the minor league season or for the MWL playoffs (if South Bend qualifies).
i'm more "wtf?" about him hitting 2nd than playing LF...especially since zobrist exists.
Soler's primary position is suppose to be in left for this season so technically he is not out of position. Although I agree, it does seem weird given their histories.
Any idea of where/when Cease will head for the season?