Cubs v Red Sox: Clown Baseball continues

It is SO nice to do something clownish about the other team for a change, and it happened to the almost first-place Boston Red Sox.

Last night completely turned the tables on the "The Cubs will find a way to lose this one" thought which we've become accustomed to this season.
First we all had to grit our teeth thru the 7th as Rich Hill came in and struck out left fielder (what?) Blake DeWitt and Kosuke Fukudome.
But then the 8th...
In came Boston reliever Matt Albers.
Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro each single, Aramis Ramirez has about a 10 pitch walk and now the bases are loaded.
Carlos Pena walks. Run scores. Bases still loaded. Reed Johnson smacks a double, Cubs take the lead.

That was actual baseball with actual hits by...Cubs.

Then Boston's clown car pulled up.

Soriano hits a pop up to Lowrie, and it goes off his glove.
SPLAT!
Pie in the face.
Cubs up by 2.

Now it's Franklin Morales pitching.
Jeff Baker absolutely mashes a double off the wall.
Cubs up by 3 and Soriano on 3rd.
Koyie Hill strikes out (SHOCKING!).
Fukudome walks and then Barney flies out to right and the camera cuts to home for the play at the plate because for sure Soriano's gonna tag up and...wait!
Soriano's not even in the picture!
He didn't run, and now he's caught in a rundown?
Before I can even comprehend the rundown is happening because Baker's on 3rd, Jason Varitek throws to Kevin Youkilis who puts up his glove and BLOOEY! A pie in the face for Youkilis as the ball goes off his glove and into left.
Soriano scores and WHIPBLATT!
Another pie in the face when Crawford's throw gets by Varitek and Baker scores!
Castro hits another double and now it's Cubs 9 Sox 3.

So...lets not even bring up the disaster that should have happened with Soriano, okay?

But lets do bring up Blake DeWitt in left field while Tyler Colvin, the guy with actual power who should be out there, is in Iowa.
Why is he in Iowa?
To get some regular playing time, which he would be getting with Soriano DHing had they not sent him down.
No he wasn't swinging real well, but given the choice between him and DeWitt...

And Koyie Hill.
Why?

Oh well, pretty great Saturday night clown entertainment except for the horrible beaning of Marlon Byrd.
Fingers crossed that he's okay.

Comments

Justin Berg at the park, Muskat doesn't know yet if they're putting Byrd on the DL to make room or sending a pitcher down.

Tonight's lineup:

Fuku - RF
Barney - 2B
Castro - SS
ARam - 3B
Pena - 1B
Baker - LF
Sori - DH
Castillo - C
Johnson - CF

byrd allegedly has multiple facial fractures...out of hospital...15 day DL...berg up...it'll probably take more than 15 days if he does have fractures.

colvin should be up pretty soon after tonight's game i'd imagine.

That blows. I hope Byrd's vision isn't permanently affected.

"Byrd is expected to be at the park later today, but the Cubs had no information on the extent of his injury."

gamer.

milton bradley is available

Colvin is 1/11 so far with 1 walk.
113/191/258

Maybe they'll just play Campana at CF and let Baker be the 4th OF?

I guess he went 3/4 today - great timing on my part. I'll happily make that mistake again

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 4 hours 30 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 4 hours 55 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.