A's Ride Extra-Base Hit Attack to Victory at Fitch Park
The EXST Athletics banged-out four doubles, a triple, and a home run, and coasted to a 7-1 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and INF Augie Ojeda (back) continued their Extended Spring Training rehab in today’s game, with Wright playing LF for seven innings and going 0-2 at the plate (a walk and two strikeouts, both swinging), while Ojeda played the first four innings at SS and then the next four at 2B, going 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3).
With Augie Ojeda on the field, it’s probably not too surprising that the Cubs were able to turn five double plays, and Augie was in the middle of four of them. If not for that, the final score would have been a lot uglier.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Augie Ojeda, SS-2B-DH: 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3)
2. Wes Darvill, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, F-8, E-5, F-8, SB)
3a. Ty Wright, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
3b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
4. Brandon May, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, L-8, 6-3, 1B)
5. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (3-U, K, HBP, 9-6 FC)
6. Rafael Valdes, 2B-SS: 1-4 (6-3, 3B, K, F-9, R)
7a. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (K, P-2)
7b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-0 (HBP)
7c. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (F-9, F-7 SF, 6-3, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, F-8)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (30 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 2 GIDP, 39 pitches (17 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2B Wes Darvill - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
RF Oliver Zapata threw-out runner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
Looks like Soler has decided to take the "can't play in the cold" thing head-on. No longer wearing the cold-weather under gear.
Cubs record for last 3 months of regular season baseball: 59 - 23. (Aug, Sept/Oct and April, with one still to go).
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.
So where does Warren G rank in the list of terrible "Take me out to the ballgame" renditions? It's gotta be near the top.
They only need to win 18 more in a row to match the 1984 start of the Detroit Tigers.