A's Ride Extra-Base Hit Attack to Victory at Fitch Park
The EXST Athletics banged-out four doubles, a triple, and a home run, and coasted to a 7-1 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and INF Augie Ojeda (back) continued their Extended Spring Training rehab in today’s game, with Wright playing LF for seven innings and going 0-2 at the plate (a walk and two strikeouts, both swinging), while Ojeda played the first four innings at SS and then the next four at 2B, going 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3).
With Augie Ojeda on the field, it’s probably not too surprising that the Cubs were able to turn five double plays, and Augie was in the middle of four of them. If not for that, the final score would have been a lot uglier.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Augie Ojeda, SS-2B-DH: 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3)
2. Wes Darvill, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, F-8, E-5, F-8, SB)
3a. Ty Wright, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
3b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
4. Brandon May, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, L-8, 6-3, 1B)
5. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (3-U, K, HBP, 9-6 FC)
6. Rafael Valdes, 2B-SS: 1-4 (6-3, 3B, K, F-9, R)
7a. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (K, P-2)
7b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-0 (HBP)
7c. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (F-9, F-7 SF, 6-3, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, F-8)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (30 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 2 GIDP, 39 pitches (17 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2B Wes Darvill - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
RF Oliver Zapata threw-out runner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
For Quintin to be in the team (should they get past the Cards) maybe a pitcher gets the axe.
if the cubs make it past STL (and molina behind the plate) it'll be interesting to see if they find a home for q.berry on the roster as a running substitution tool.
RHP Jason Hammel replaces OF Quintin Berry on the Active Roster, as the Cubs go from 10 pitchers in the Wild Card game to 11 pitchers in the NLDS.
the story checks out.
also, i agree.
So all this business about Maddon being an old Cards fan and Arrieta being in Matt Carpenter's wedding... I have really strong feelings about this stuff. I'm not sure if I really enjoy it or really despise it, but I feel strongly about it...
Today's Loss puts new meaning into their national anthem: O Canada
LaTroy does what he's always done best, blow games on the line. Still breaking management hearts at age 42.
I'm sure Fox is thrilled with the ratings potential of a Rangers + Astros ALCS. Ha.
LaTroy is going to LaTroy
I am remarkably calm about today's game. Not that I am expecting to win, but that I have no expectations at all either way.
If the Cubs game goes to 14 innings, I will no longer be calm.
TEX/TOR in the 14th inning, btw...fun stuff.
Yay! KB at 3B!
Molina in the Cards lineup.
Fowler (CF), Schwarber (RF!), Bryant (3B), Rizzo (1B), Castro (2B), Coughlan (LF), Russell (SS), Ross (C), Lester (P)
If the baseball gods would guarantee that result, I'd take it :-).