A's Ride Extra-Base Hit Attack to Victory at Fitch Park
The EXST Athletics banged-out four doubles, a triple, and a home run, and coasted to a 7-1 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and INF Augie Ojeda (back) continued their Extended Spring Training rehab in today’s game, with Wright playing LF for seven innings and going 0-2 at the plate (a walk and two strikeouts, both swinging), while Ojeda played the first four innings at SS and then the next four at 2B, going 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3).
With Augie Ojeda on the field, it’s probably not too surprising that the Cubs were able to turn five double plays, and Augie was in the middle of four of them. If not for that, the final score would have been a lot uglier.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Augie Ojeda, SS-2B-DH: 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3)
2. Wes Darvill, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, F-8, E-5, F-8, SB)
3a. Ty Wright, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
3b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
4. Brandon May, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, L-8, 6-3, 1B)
5. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (3-U, K, HBP, 9-6 FC)
6. Rafael Valdes, 2B-SS: 1-4 (6-3, 3B, K, F-9, R)
7a. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (K, P-2)
7b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-0 (HBP)
7c. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (F-9, F-7 SF, 6-3, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, F-8)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (30 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 2 GIDP, 39 pitches (17 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2B Wes Darvill - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
RF Oliver Zapata threw-out runner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
who knows where it'll end up. they have a decent amount of excess/blocked infielders as well as c.coghlan if they want to make him expendable...so there's value to get something done while keeping soler, even.
it's a bit more muddy now that cueto is the only "hell yeah" FA pitcher left out there.
Yes great bat, but very shaky in the field during the playoffs. That won't go unnoticed by this Cubs front office.
I would hope not.
I fear the Shark will return.
So how did the Orioles GM stay cool and collected during that conversation. I imagine he was biting his knuckles quite a bit until the phones hung up.
I realize they need to get pitching, but I'd hate to see Soler go. He was channeling Manny in the playoffs -- laying off the low & away stuff and crushing the ball. If he can keep that plate discipline, he could be an absolute beast. Also, his perfect throw may have saved the Cardinals series. Plus, he wears #68.
Dunno - maybe Shark/Lackey?
YES! A 2-way tie for first! I am willing to split the pot right now.
That is pretty fucking dumb.
"The Seattle Mariners have agreed to trade slugger Mark Trumbo to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for catcher Steve Clevenger, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jim Bowden."
yeah, that steve clevenger.
St Louis offered $30MM less than Toronto...so around $185MM or $26MM per year. When those type of numbers and details are released, it is rarely just pulled out of thin air. Sounds pretty legit that they put up a bit of a fight.
Where did you get 30ish number?
Close second to Ronny
Dumber than Ronny Cedeno?
runner-up seems to be as strong as in the bidding as it gets aside from winning the bid.
STL has money to spend, but how much they were willing to spend was up in the air...and now they threw around a 30m-ish offer to a top FA pitcher.
You believe they were in the bidding, I have an ice rink on Clark to sell you
Oh God, no Adam Eaton he's dummber than a bag of wet hair. keep him awsy