Cabezas and Morelli Lead Cubs to Victory at Fitch Park
Yaniel Cabezas had four hits (three doubles and a single), scored three runs, and drove-in two more, Jesus Morelli drove-in four runs with two singles and a home run, and four pitchers combined to strike out 14, as a split squad of EXST Cubs drubbed the EXST Angels 13-5 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #2 in Mesa.
Prior to the game on Field #2, Angel Guzman and Dustin Fitzgerald faced-off in a two-inning “sim game” on Field #3.
While one squad of EXST Cubs was playing the EXST Angels at Fitch Park, the other squad traveled up the 101 Freeway to Salt River Fields at Talking Stick to play the EXST Rockies. However, I have no information about that game.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHP Larry Suarez has been promoted to Peoria (Suarez was used as a closer in his last couple of outings at EXST), and OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) completed his rehab assignment and was assigned to AAA Iowa yesterday as the roster replacement for OF Lou Montanez, who had been called-up from Iowa by the Cubs on Tuesday to replace the injured Marlon Byrd (15-day DL - multiple facial fractures).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game at Fitch Park Field #2 (Cubs players only)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-4 (HBP, 4-6-3 DP, 3B, 6-3, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
2. Augie Ojeda, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 4-3, BB, F-7 SF, R, RBI)
3. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 4-5 (2B, K, 2B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
4. Jesus Morelli, LF: 3-5 (F-9, 6-4-3 DP, 1B, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
5. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-5 (K, K, F-8, K, 6-3)
6. Gregori Gonzalez, 3B: 1-4 (F-7, 5-2 FC, 4-3, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED SECOND TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-8, K, 1B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Blair Springfield, DH: 2-4 (1B, 2B, BB, F-8, 9-6 FC, 2 R)
9a. Max Kwan, 1B: 2-3 (1B, BB, FC+E1, 1B, 3 R, RBI)
9b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-1 (F-9 DP)
1. Matt Loosen: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 55 pitches (39 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
2. Hector Mayora: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 32 pitches (19 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 61 pitches (34 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3B Gregori Gonzalez - E5 (dropped pop fly in foul territory extending AB for hitter who then doubled and eventually scored unearned run)
Yaniel Cabezas 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.
This site is as dead as the team.