A's Ride Extra-Base Hit Attack to Victory at Fitch Park
The EXST Athletics banged-out four doubles, a triple, and a home run, and coasted to a 7-1 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
Tennessee OF Ty Wright (sprained ankle) and INF Augie Ojeda (back) continued their Extended Spring Training rehab in today’s game, with Wright playing LF for seven innings and going 0-2 at the plate (a walk and two strikeouts, both swinging), while Ojeda played the first four innings at SS and then the next four at 2B, going 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3).
With Augie Ojeda on the field, it’s probably not too surprising that the Cubs were able to turn five double plays, and Augie was in the middle of four of them. If not for that, the final score would have been a lot uglier.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Augie Ojeda, SS-2B-DH: 1-4 (F-7, E-5, 2B, 4-3)
2. Wes Darvill, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, F-8, E-5, F-8, SB)
3a. Ty Wright, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
3b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
4. Brandon May, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, L-8, 6-3, 1B)
5. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (3-U, K, HBP, 9-6 FC)
6. Rafael Valdes, 2B-SS: 1-4 (6-3, 3B, K, F-9, R)
7a. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (K, P-2)
7b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-0 (HBP)
7c. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Eduardo Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (F-9, F-7 SF, 6-3, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, F-8)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (30 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 2 GIDP, 39 pitches (17 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Santo Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2B Wes Darvill - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
RF Oliver Zapata threw-out runner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.