Angels Pummel Cubs as Brett Jackson Completes Rehab
J. C. Rodriguez knocked-in six runs with an RBI single, a two-run double, and a three-run home run, leading the EXST Angels to a 10-2 thrashing of the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was extended an extra couple of innings so that all of the pitchers who were due to throw today could get their scheduled work.
OF Brett Jackson (on Tennessee Smokies DL with finger injury) completed his rehab assignment today in Tempe, playing six innings in CF and going 1-4.at the plate. The Cubs #1 position player prospect hit everything to the opposite field today, roping a line-drive RBI single over the shortstop’s head in his first AB, flying out to LF his next time up, getting called out on strikes (frozen by a slow curve) in his 3rd plate appearance, and grounding out to the shortstop in his final AB.
Over his two rehab games (eight PA) at EXST, Jackson hit 375/375/625 (1B, 4-3, K, 3B, 1B, F-7, K, 6-3). He will be rejoining the Tennessee Smokies on Monday.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Oliver Zapata, DH-CF: 1-4 (2B, K, 1-U, K, R)
2. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, 1B)
3. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, 6-3, RBI)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 1-3 (L-7, 1-3, 2B, R)
5. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, RBI)
6. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 1-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 1-3)
8. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (L-6, 5-3, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3)
1. Austin Reed: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 GIDP, 61 pitches (33 strikes), 9/0 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Marco Hernandez - E4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
An all-round brutal article. He's not wrong, though.
Whew. Take no chances with him, please!
Per Muskat tweet:
"MRI confirmed #Cubs Bryant has mild ankle sprain. Will not play today. Not expected to go on DL"
"Nothing stunts a pitcher’s development like playing for the Orioles..."
Cubs have a guy you never heard of who gets hits every night for South Bend and is hitting .390 after 64 PAs.
Daniel Spingola, left/left, mostly RF, 31st rounder last June.
So while I'm not happy about this pick and hes going to be a project the positive that can be said is we aren't expected to compete this year and we have a decent LB core so he doesn't have to just go in and dominate. He has some time to develop and he obviously has the athletic ability and speed to build on. It
Going from a first place team to a third place team is a painful process.
Cards already whining
Cardinals look a little road-weary on getaway day http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals//post/_...
-via ESPN http://es.pn/app
dee gordon (MIA) suspended 80 days for PEDs. wow.
"excessive testosterone and Clostebol"
hell of a late-night news flash.
Seems like a bizarre pick -- they moved up 2 spots to pick up a guy who was not dominant in college. According to the talking heads, supposedly a great athlete (but an unpolished football player). So was Alonzo Spellman. And the guy who could jump out of a pool. Bears have missed the playoffs 5 straight years and 8 of the last 9. And they made Marc Trestman an NFL head coach. Maybe they can hire Theo in his free time. Sheesh.
And then the Bears pick an undersized linebacker with very few sacks in his college career and very little ability to shed blocks and the draft becomes less of a joy.
Watching the NFL Draft on ESPN with the mute on is one of the greatest joys in my small life. Being able to not hear Roger Goodell, Chris Berman, Jon Gruden, and Mel Kiper in quick order is just somehow immensely satisfying. I hope by the time the Bears pick they have Steven AAAAAAAAAAAAA Smith and Skip Bayless on so I can not hear them too.
even if the cubs lose feder, he's easily replaceable with a cash/low-end-ptbnl trade...plus, taylor davis is wasting time down in AA and he could pop up to AAA to back up w.conteras.
Tim Federowicz is out of minor league options, so Outright Assignment Waivers would be needed before he can be sent back to Iowa. He also has the right to elect free-agency if outrighted, but he probably wouldn't elect to be a FA if outrighted unless the Cubs shit on him somehow while he's up with the big club (not likely).
But it is possible that another MLB club could claim Federowicz if the Cubs place him on waivers, which would leave Willson Contreras as pretty much the only other option if a catcher goes on the DL again later in the season.