Angels Pummel Cubs as Brett Jackson Completes Rehab
J. C. Rodriguez knocked-in six runs with an RBI single, a two-run double, and a three-run home run, leading the EXST Angels to a 10-2 thrashing of the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was extended an extra couple of innings so that all of the pitchers who were due to throw today could get their scheduled work.
OF Brett Jackson (on Tennessee Smokies DL with finger injury) completed his rehab assignment today in Tempe, playing six innings in CF and going 1-4.at the plate. The Cubs #1 position player prospect hit everything to the opposite field today, roping a line-drive RBI single over the shortstop’s head in his first AB, flying out to LF his next time up, getting called out on strikes (frozen by a slow curve) in his 3rd plate appearance, and grounding out to the shortstop in his final AB.
Over his two rehab games (eight PA) at EXST, Jackson hit 375/375/625 (1B, 4-3, K, 3B, 1B, F-7, K, 6-3). He will be rejoining the Tennessee Smokies on Monday.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Oliver Zapata, DH-CF: 1-4 (2B, K, 1-U, K, R)
2. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, 1B)
3. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, 6-3, RBI)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 1-3 (L-7, 1-3, 2B, R)
5. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, RBI)
6. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 1-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 1-3)
8. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (L-6, 5-3, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3)
1. Austin Reed: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 GIDP, 61 pitches (33 strikes), 9/0 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Marco Hernandez - E4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.
Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."