Geiger Blast Nets Cubs Split at Salt River Fields
Dustin Geiger slugged a grand slam HR to cap a five-run 2nd inning as one squad of EXST Cubs drilled one squad of EXST Rockies 10-4 on Red Mountain Field, but the other squad of Rockies pounded out 17 hits (including three triples, two doubles, and a three-run HR) and thumped the other squad of Cubs 12-1 on Dust Storm Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Memorial Day doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, K, 2B, 2 R)
1b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-9)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B-3B: 2-5 (5-3, 1B+E7, 6-3, 2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
3a. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 3-4 (1B, P-2, 3B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (K)
4a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-4 (F-7, F-7, 1B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Carlos Romero, C: 0-1 (K)
5. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-5 (1B, 6-3, 1B, K, 6-3, 2 R)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-8, K, BB, R)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 2-5 (1B, 1B+E5, FC, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
8. Max Kwan, DH: 2-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, K, 1B, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-5 (HR, K, L-6, 6-3, K, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Luis Liria: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 71 pitches (42 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (30 strikes), 0/7 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Jeffry Antigua: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5 pitches (5 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (dropped pop-up in short RF allowing batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 4-6 FC)
2. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (1-U, 6-4 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 1B)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, K, K, 5-3)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 3B, 1-3, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, 4-U FC, 5-3, 4-3, RBI)
7. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
8. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-3 (F-7, 5-3, 1B)
9. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-3 (2B, F-7, F-8)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 9 H, 8 R (8 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 63 pitches (42 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
NOTE: 1st inning was stopped with one out when Cruz reached max pitch limit for that inning
2. Joe Zeller: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
3. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 32 pitches (18 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 19 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.