Angels Pummel Cubs as Brett Jackson Completes Rehab
J. C. Rodriguez knocked-in six runs with an RBI single, a two-run double, and a three-run home run, leading the EXST Angels to a 10-2 thrashing of the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was extended an extra couple of innings so that all of the pitchers who were due to throw today could get their scheduled work.
OF Brett Jackson (on Tennessee Smokies DL with finger injury) completed his rehab assignment today in Tempe, playing six innings in CF and going 1-4.at the plate. The Cubs #1 position player prospect hit everything to the opposite field today, roping a line-drive RBI single over the shortstop’s head in his first AB, flying out to LF his next time up, getting called out on strikes (frozen by a slow curve) in his 3rd plate appearance, and grounding out to the shortstop in his final AB.
Over his two rehab games (eight PA) at EXST, Jackson hit 375/375/625 (1B, 4-3, K, 3B, 1B, F-7, K, 6-3). He will be rejoining the Tennessee Smokies on Monday.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Oliver Zapata, DH-CF: 1-4 (2B, K, 1-U, K, R)
2. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, 1B)
3. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, 6-3, RBI)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 1-3 (L-7, 1-3, 2B, R)
5. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, RBI)
6. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 1-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 1-3)
8. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (L-6, 5-3, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3)
1. Austin Reed: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 GIDP, 61 pitches (33 strikes), 9/0 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Marco Hernandez - E4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."