Geiger Blast Nets Cubs Split at Salt River Fields
Dustin Geiger slugged a grand slam HR to cap a five-run 2nd inning as one squad of EXST Cubs drilled one squad of EXST Rockies 10-4 on Red Mountain Field, but the other squad of Rockies pounded out 17 hits (including three triples, two doubles, and a three-run HR) and thumped the other squad of Cubs 12-1 on Dust Storm Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Memorial Day doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, K, 2B, 2 R)
1b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-9)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B-3B: 2-5 (5-3, 1B+E7, 6-3, 2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
3a. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 3-4 (1B, P-2, 3B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (K)
4a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-4 (F-7, F-7, 1B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Carlos Romero, C: 0-1 (K)
5. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-5 (1B, 6-3, 1B, K, 6-3, 2 R)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-8, K, BB, R)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 2-5 (1B, 1B+E5, FC, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
8. Max Kwan, DH: 2-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, K, 1B, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-5 (HR, K, L-6, 6-3, K, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Luis Liria: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 71 pitches (42 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (30 strikes), 0/7 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Jeffry Antigua: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5 pitches (5 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (dropped pop-up in short RF allowing batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 4-6 FC)
2. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (1-U, 6-4 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 1B)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, K, K, 5-3)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 3B, 1-3, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, 4-U FC, 5-3, 4-3, RBI)
7. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
8. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-3 (F-7, 5-3, 1B)
9. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-3 (2B, F-7, F-8)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 9 H, 8 R (8 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 63 pitches (42 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
NOTE: 1st inning was stopped with one out when Cruz reached max pitch limit for that inning
2. Joe Zeller: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
3. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 32 pitches (18 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 19 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Going from a first place team to a third place team is a painful process.
Cards already whining
Cardinals look a little road-weary on getaway day http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals//post/_...
-via ESPN http://es.pn/app
dee gordon (MIA) suspended 80 days for PEDs. wow.
"excessive testosterone and Clostebol"
hell of a late-night news flash.
Seems like a bizarre pick -- they moved up 2 spots to pick up a guy who was not dominant in college. According to the talking heads, supposedly a great athlete (but an unpolished football player). So was Alonzo Spellman. And the guy who could jump out of a pool. Bears have missed the playoffs 5 straight years and 8 of the last 9. And they made Marc Trestman an NFL head coach. Maybe they can hire Theo in his free time. Sheesh.
And then the Bears pick an undersized linebacker with very few sacks in his college career and very little ability to shed blocks and the draft becomes less of a joy.
Watching the NFL Draft on ESPN with the mute on is one of the greatest joys in my small life. Being able to not hear Roger Goodell, Chris Berman, Jon Gruden, and Mel Kiper in quick order is just somehow immensely satisfying. I hope by the time the Bears pick they have Steven AAAAAAAAAAAAA Smith and Skip Bayless on so I can not hear them too.
even if the cubs lose feder, he's easily replaceable with a cash/low-end-ptbnl trade...plus, taylor davis is wasting time down in AA and he could pop up to AAA to back up w.conteras.
Tim Federowicz is out of minor league options, so Outright Assignment Waivers would be needed before he can be sent back to Iowa. He also has the right to elect free-agency if outrighted, but he probably wouldn't elect to be a FA if outrighted unless the Cubs shit on him somehow while he's up with the big club (not likely).
But it is possible that another MLB club could claim Federowicz if the Cubs place him on waivers, which would leave Willson Contreras as pretty much the only other option if a catcher goes on the DL again later in the season.
CRAIG: D. J. Wilson is hitting 083/115/167 in six Cactus League EXST games (26 PA), but his K-rate is only 11.5% and he has somehow managed to drive-in five runs along the way (he's tied for second on the team in RBI), so it's not like he's swinging & missing a lot. He does seem to be feeling for the ball a bit, however, which has resulted in too much weak contact and not enough line drives.
Bryant sprained ankle MRI tomorrow
Cubs did a lot of that today: 2-for-17 with RISP.
Man, what an ugly baseball game - Cubs receive 11 walks and Bryant reached twice by HBP, the Brewers pitchers threw almost 200 pitches (199 pitches...in 8 innings!), they even walked Baez (first one of the year), Cubs scored twice when Brewers botched routine DP balls, Cahill walks three guys with a 6-run lead, forcing Maddon to waste Strop, the weather sucked again, etc. Happy with the win, but that was really tough to watch.
"Some of the most racist things I've ever heard have come out of people that are on the air at ESPN," Schilling said Wednesday on "Breitbart News Patriot Forum." He was fired by ESPN last week.
“In the end for me it felt like that rule applied to me and me alone because I was conservative … Bigots are calling me a bigot. A bigot is someone who refuses to accept a different opinion. I will accept anyone’s opinion.”
Rolled scoring on Rizzo double
Re ZOBRIST -
Today's game is what I was referring to re Zobrist and RISP struggles. He did come through with his patented single to drive in a run - but also left the bases loaded, and two men on, no outs (called 3rd).
So, I hope he can pick that part of his game up when they start playing the better teams...