Cubs Fit to Be Tied at Fitch Park
Max Kwan laced a line-drive single through a drawn-in infield to score Reggie Golden from 3rd base, as EXST Cubs Squad “A” rallied for a run in the bottom of the 9th to tie EXST Cubs Squad “B” 6-6 in an Extended Spring Training intra-squad game played this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Daytona IF-OF-C David Macias (on a rehab assignment at Fitch Park) was a DH for Squad “A” and got five at bats, going 1-5 with a single, two ground outs, and two strikeouts (one looking and one swinging). Macias was placed on the D-Cubs 7-day DL on May 10th.
Hunter Ackerman, Austin Reed, and Ben Wells all pitched multiple innings in the game, with mixed results. Ackerman struggled through his four innings (two of the innings were stopped early--“ROLL-IT!”--when the lefty reached his max pitch limit for that inning), allowing four runs on six hits and three walks (and a WP) in 3.1 IP, Reed allowed four runs (one earned) on two triples, three singles, and a walk in four innings of work (Reed also committed a costly error that led to three unearned runs scoring)), and Wells tossed three innings of one-hit ball, allowing one unearned run (Cub Squad “A” defenders committed four errors while Wells was on the hill).
RHP Dustin Fitzgerald had his best outing of the spring, throwing two innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts.
21-year old Dominican RHP Felix Pena made his U. S. debut, and was the victim of the Squad “A” 9th inning rally that tied the game. While F. Pena did allow one run on two hits and a walk, he also induced a timely DP ball with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs to help ease the pressure, and then struck out Wilson Contreras (swinging) with high gas for the final out.
Cubs GM Jim Hendry, Player Personnel Director Oneri Fleita, Scouting Director Tim Wilken, and a number of members of the Cubs Scouting & Player Development departments are spending the week at Fitch Park, with the scouts evaluating potential draft picks in pre-game morning work-outs, and the minor league instructors and coordinators evaluating the players who are assigned to the squad at Extended Spring Training in preparation for the start of the short-season leagues later this month. (Perhaps having so many eyes of importance watching was the reason Cubs players committed eight errors in the intra-squad game).
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHP Jeffry Antigua has been moved up to Daytona.
Here is the box score from today’s intra-squad game:
NOTE: David Macias was DH #1 for SQUAD “A” and batted 1st in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, and 8th innings
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-5 (L-1, F-7, F-7, 1B, L-4, R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-5 (4-3, 1B, E-1, 4-3, E-6, 2 R, 2 SB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-5 (K, 1B, 3B, E-4, E-6, R, 2 RBI, SB)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, F-8, P-4)
5. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, 1B, E-6, R, SB)
7. Brian Inoa, C: 2-3 (1B, BB, 3B, 4-3, 2 RBI, SB, 2 CS)
8. Oliver Zapata, CF: 0-4 (K, P-4, K, 4-3)
9. Johan DeJesus, DH: 0-4 (5-3, 4-3, F-8, P-6)
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
X. David Macias, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, 6-3, K, K, 4-3, R)
1. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (4-3, 6-3, BB, 1B, SB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 2-4 (1-3, 2B, 1B, K, RBI)
3. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1-3, P-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
4. Max Kwan, LF: 2-4 (1B, K, 1-3, 1B, 2 RBI)
5. Blair Springfield, CF: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, BB, R, CS)
6. Carlos Romero, C: 1-4 (1B, K, 5-3, 5-4 DP, R)
7. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (BB, F-8, K, K)
8. Jesus Morelli, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, K, 2 RBI)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, R, SB)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 63 pitches (38 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 1st and 2nd innings were stopped with two outs when Ackerman reached max pitch limit
2. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 38 pitches (23 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with two outs when B. Smith reached max pitch limit
3. Dustin Fitzgerald: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 30 pitches (22 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (21 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Austin Reed: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 64 pitches (43 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
3. Ben Wells: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 33 pitches (24 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
C Brian Inoa - E2 (throwing error on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd base)
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 7
1. 1B Wilson Contreras - E3 (throwing error allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
2. P Austin Reed - E1 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (errant relay throw to 3rd base on an RBI triple allowed batter-runner to score)
4. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
5. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
6. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
7. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Brian Inoa: 1-4 CS, 2 PB, 1 E (see above)
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Romero: 2-7 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs on Lester:
Question: Do you think that Lester’s base-throwing yips/lack of the ability to hold runners is a big deal? He’s had a long, successful career despite this, mainly due to being good a run prevention, but it did hurt that one time vs. KC in the playoffs. Should Cubs fans be making a bigger deal out of it, or is it just not that big of a deal?
Miggy seemed remarkably unhappy for a guy who just won the game. Probably related to the fact that he never plays any more.
Yeah, that was the official scoring.
Classic ending, about 12:11 AM, CST. 5 hours, 3 minutes. Both teams have bases loaded, no out situations in the last inning.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.