Cubs Fit to Be Tied at Fitch Park
Max Kwan laced a line-drive single through a drawn-in infield to score Reggie Golden from 3rd base, as EXST Cubs Squad “A” rallied for a run in the bottom of the 9th to tie EXST Cubs Squad “B” 6-6 in an Extended Spring Training intra-squad game played this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Daytona IF-OF-C David Macias (on a rehab assignment at Fitch Park) was a DH for Squad “A” and got five at bats, going 1-5 with a single, two ground outs, and two strikeouts (one looking and one swinging). Macias was placed on the D-Cubs 7-day DL on May 10th.
Hunter Ackerman, Austin Reed, and Ben Wells all pitched multiple innings in the game, with mixed results. Ackerman struggled through his four innings (two of the innings were stopped early--“ROLL-IT!”--when the lefty reached his max pitch limit for that inning), allowing four runs on six hits and three walks (and a WP) in 3.1 IP, Reed allowed four runs (one earned) on two triples, three singles, and a walk in four innings of work (Reed also committed a costly error that led to three unearned runs scoring)), and Wells tossed three innings of one-hit ball, allowing one unearned run (Cub Squad “A” defenders committed four errors while Wells was on the hill).
RHP Dustin Fitzgerald had his best outing of the spring, throwing two innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts.
21-year old Dominican RHP Felix Pena made his U. S. debut, and was the victim of the Squad “A” 9th inning rally that tied the game. While F. Pena did allow one run on two hits and a walk, he also induced a timely DP ball with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs to help ease the pressure, and then struck out Wilson Contreras (swinging) with high gas for the final out.
Cubs GM Jim Hendry, Player Personnel Director Oneri Fleita, Scouting Director Tim Wilken, and a number of members of the Cubs Scouting & Player Development departments are spending the week at Fitch Park, with the scouts evaluating potential draft picks in pre-game morning work-outs, and the minor league instructors and coordinators evaluating the players who are assigned to the squad at Extended Spring Training in preparation for the start of the short-season leagues later this month. (Perhaps having so many eyes of importance watching was the reason Cubs players committed eight errors in the intra-squad game).
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHP Jeffry Antigua has been moved up to Daytona.
Here is the box score from today’s intra-squad game:
NOTE: David Macias was DH #1 for SQUAD “A” and batted 1st in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, and 8th innings
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-5 (L-1, F-7, F-7, 1B, L-4, R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-5 (4-3, 1B, E-1, 4-3, E-6, 2 R, 2 SB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-5 (K, 1B, 3B, E-4, E-6, R, 2 RBI, SB)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, F-8, P-4)
5. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, K, R)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, 1B, E-6, R, SB)
7. Brian Inoa, C: 2-3 (1B, BB, 3B, 4-3, 2 RBI, SB, 2 CS)
8. Oliver Zapata, CF: 0-4 (K, P-4, K, 4-3)
9. Johan DeJesus, DH: 0-4 (5-3, 4-3, F-8, P-6)
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
X. David Macias, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, 6-3, K, K, 4-3, R)
1. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-3 (4-3, 6-3, BB, 1B, SB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 2-4 (1-3, 2B, 1B, K, RBI)
3. Reggie Golden, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1-3, P-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
4. Max Kwan, LF: 2-4 (1B, K, 1-3, 1B, 2 RBI)
5. Blair Springfield, CF: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, BB, R, CS)
6. Carlos Romero, C: 1-4 (1B, K, 5-3, 5-4 DP, R)
7. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (BB, F-8, K, K)
8. Jesus Morelli, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, K, 2 RBI)
9. Gregori Gonzalez, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, R, SB)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 63 pitches (38 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 1st and 2nd innings were stopped with two outs when Ackerman reached max pitch limit
2. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 38 pitches (23 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with two outs when B. Smith reached max pitch limit
3. Dustin Fitzgerald: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 30 pitches (22 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (21 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Austin Reed: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 64 pitches (43 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
3. Ben Wells: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 33 pitches (24 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
C Brian Inoa - E2 (throwing error on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd base)
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 7
1. 1B Wilson Contreras - E3 (throwing error allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
2. P Austin Reed - E1 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (errant relay throw to 3rd base on an RBI triple allowed batter-runner to score)
4. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
5. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
6. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
7. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Brian Inoa: 1-4 CS, 2 PB, 1 E (see above)
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Romero: 2-7 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.
Did they ever say or who the PTBNL or cash decision on Rodney was or who was the PTBNL in the Austin Jackson deal was yet? Neither was worth whatever they gave up. Cahill and Richard were the only two good "deadline" deals they made. Hunter (given Lake was the odd man out by far and taking up a roster spot) and Haren weren't worth it.