Cubs Blank A's at Papago
Wilson Contreras lined a two-run double into the left-field corner to spark a four-run 4th inning, and four pitchers combined to throw a six-hit shutout with 11 strikeouts, as the EXST Cubs whitewashed the EXST Athletics 8-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Connie Mack Field at the Papago Park Sports Complex in Phoenix.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 1B-OF Xavier Batista has been sent from Extended Spring Training to DSL Cubs #1, and IF-OF-C David Macias has completed his Extended Spring Training rehab assignment and has been assigned to Peoria.
The 19-year old 6'3 210+ X. Batista was hitting just 133/175/163 with 22 K in 63 PA for the EXST Cubs so far in 2011, after putting up a 215/248/419 slash-line with 42 K in 101 PA with the EXST Cubs this time last year, and a 212/263/300 line with 63 K in 186 PA last summer with the AZL Cubs. Despite showing HR power in BP, Batista hit just four HR in a combined 350 PA with the EXST Cubs and AZL Cubs in 2010 and the EXST Cubs in 2011.
Macias had been on the Daytona 7-day DL since May 10th, but he was needed at Peoria after 2B Pierre LePage was placed on the Chiefs 7-day DL with a groin strain. Such is the life of an "organizational player."
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-5 (K, F-8, 2B, E-6, P-6, R)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (K, 2B, 4-3, 4-6 FC, R)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI, CS, PO)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-4 (F-9, F-9, 4-3, K)
5. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 2B, 4-3, 3-1, R, 2 RBI)
6. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, P-6, K)
7. Brandon May, DH #1: 2-4 (6-U FC, 1B, 3-1, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, 1-3, 3-6 FC, R)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 6-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10. Blair Springfield, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, P-4, E-6, 1B+E9, R, 2 RBI)
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 41 pitches (29 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Hector Mayora: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 42 pitches (24 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 42 pitches (23 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Yilver Sanchez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 30 pitches (22 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
Yaniel Cabezas 1-1 CS
CF Pin-Chieh Chen threw out runner 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single.
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
There's an interview with Heyward up on ESPN where he says the wrist thing has been lingering and he just brought it up with the team as it didn't go away. So that could very well explain why he hasn't had the same hard contact recently.
Ryan Kalish writeup (by Peter Gammons last November):
Villanueva goes to the 60 day DL.
Peter Gammons just tweeted that teammates are tweeting Kalish is getting recalled. Not sure which ones and what they'll do with the 40 man but there we go.
Jesee Rogers just said he thought Ryan Kalish would be the call up.
Ryan Kalish is not on the 40-man either.
Schwarber hurt, Heyward hurt, Szczur hurt. Let's see how many guys have to go down before Soler gets his job back.
RHP Jake Arrieta (5-0, 1.00)
Neat. This ought to be a good game.
Unless somebody goes on the 60-DL or ouright them they can't call up Shane he's not on the 40 man roster, he still on a minor league contract
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!