This just in: the Cubs are a national joke again.

By a complete freak-of-American Airlines chance I ended up sitting on a plane next to Fran, an old friend.
Even though we talked alot catching up on stuff, it's a pretty long trip from Los Angeles to Chicago so, kinda numb by the time we landed.

You know that pilot voice that comes on at the end of a flight?
The one that says, "Thanks for flying our airline yada yada"?
It's automatic.
Part of the expected.
Like the sound of your computer booting up, or Bob Brenly saying, "It's another dead ass team."

So when this pilot went off the normal script and said, "Welcome to Chicago. Home of the 1908 World Champion Chicago Cubs," it totally took everybody by surprise.

And it wasn't just a small laugh that resulted.

You have to think that while there's a large group of Chicago people on a plane landing in Chicago, there also has to be a significant chunk of people from other cities, too.
Not that I'm unused to the idea that the Cubs are a national joke, it was just odd that it happened live rather than on say, Conan or something.

Anyway, I laughed too.

Then I turned my phone on, hit the ESPN app.

Cubs were down zero to 2 in the first inning.

Sometimes, the Cubs imitate art.
Or maybe life imitates the Cubs.

One of those.

Comments

RF Fuke, 2B Barney, SS Castro, 1B Pena, 3B Ramy, LF DeWitt, CF Colvin, C Hill, P Davis

National Joke? Why not International Joke. I'm wondering what the pilot says when landing in Tokyo.

Chicago Cubs, Harry Caray.

Tim might be able to use this pic:

HA! Thanks, I'm always looking for inspiration.

OK, you know the drill. How many runs do the Cubs give up in the first inning today?

I go with 4.

Amazing, only 1. Could have been much more, and I have a feeling Davis isn't going to go deep in this game.

Dodgers are kind of a joke lately as well. Just got this from them. .

IT'S TIME FOR RED, WHITE, AND DODGER BLUE SALE ENDS TOMORROW AT 9AM

Don't forget to make your plans for the 4th of July! Take advantage of this incredible offer with Reserve Level tickets on sale for $4, Loge Level for $14 (normally $70-$80), and Field Level for $24 (normally $120-$130). Act now, sale ends TOMORROW at 9am.

Enter promo code JULY4 to get these unbeatable savings!

Selig and MLB have to be thrilled. Blatant attempt to raise quick cash to make their next payroll (or pay for McCourt's personal bills).

I think it's time for Doug Davis to be released. Start Casey Coleman, I don't care, but Davis has nothing.

marshall's day to fuck things up...

terrible 1-2 pitch to utley

I said when the inning started that this inning was the game and Wood should have been in. Marshall could have pitched the 8th if needed, hopefully at the bottom of the order. Marshall has struggled vs. the middle of the order this series.

And why did they pitch to Howard? I thought for sure they should have walked him. I know he's a strikeout possibility, but c'mon, face Francisco instead.

well other than Marshall has pitched better than Wood this year and has better numbers versus lefties and righties than Wood, your hindsight plan sounds awesome.

It wasn't hindsight, I said it before the inning began here at home. And I know Marshall has better numbers vs lefties than Wood, but Marshall hasn't gotten these guys out in this series. Why keep doing the same thing and hoping something different happens? Try Wood there. That inning was the game, anyone with a brain could see that coming. Even Marmol in the spot would have made more sense. Pitch your best reliever(s) in the spot where the game is on the line. Then to keep us in the game, we get Rodrigo Lopez and John Grabow pitching the 8th.

Extremely poorly managed game by Quade.

They did use their best reliever. And who would you have used in the 9th if you used marmol? Unless you're grand plan involved no one getting on base in the 7th or 8th.

Either Kerry Wood is unavailable for the game or Quade is a complete idiot.

Both could be true :)

Both are true. Wood has a blister and is headed for the DL. Only god knows where MQ is headed. Too bad you can't put managers on the DL.

about to bitch about letting Hill hit here in the bottom of the 9th and he singles of course.

meh, soto misses a hr by a few feet and then pops up to end it...

C'mon, guys... Tom Ricketts isn't ready to give up on the season yet, neither am I.

There's been all this talk about moving around teams to balance out the leagues. I might suggest moving the Chicago Cubs to the Midwest League.

...to the Midwest League.
---
great, so we'd have to watch the Cubs play crappy ball vs the Beloit Snappers

It's been a long time since a Cub manager outmaneuvered his opposing manager. Not much to recall on a positive front there since Piniella in 2008.

per Muskat...from the White Album

K Wood has blisters on his fingers, might be going to the DL

This Cub season is being scripted by the writers of All My Children...which will have their season end in september too. Tom Ricketts consideringnErica Kane for GM.

"We stinks" -- Susan Lucci

• game restarting...degrom on the mound, hammel taking his AB.

crunch 17 min 1 sec ago view
  • rain delay...bah.

crunch 1 hour 22 min ago view
  • Indians extend their streak.

Darwin Barney gets tagged with the loss.

Mornington Crescent 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • delayed until 7:20 -EST- (tarp off the field)...

CLE/TOR in the top 18th in case you're bored. 2nd baseman r.goins pitching for TOR...hit 90mph so far. 1ip 2h 1bb 0k, 0 r/er (bb was ibb). he threw a fastball/change mix. crowd loved it. d.ross is not impressed.

d.barney strands j.lake at 2nd in the bottom 18 for the cubs bluejays...to the 19th!

-cubs game has begun-

crunch 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • BRADSBEARD: Javier Assad was still pitching into the 6th inning, and the first batter he faced reached base on an E-4 (that was Assad's 70th and final pitch of the game). Then Leathersich relieved Assad and retired the second batter 4-3 on the first pitch of the AB (the runner at 1st base advanced to 2nd on the play), and then on an 0-1 pitch the third batter in the inning (second one faced by Leathersich) lined into an inning-ending 6-4 DP (baserunner doubled off 2nd base). When calculating GO/AO, double plays and triple plays count as only one out.

Arizona Phil 1 hour 59 min ago view
  • Wow. The site actually loaded without an error! Happy 4th all, and Go Cubs!

• OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.

• Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 4 hours 55 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 12 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 8 hours 52 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 9 hours 19 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.