This just in: the Cubs are a national joke again.

By a complete freak-of-American Airlines chance I ended up sitting on a plane next to Fran, an old friend.
Even though we talked alot catching up on stuff, it's a pretty long trip from Los Angeles to Chicago so, kinda numb by the time we landed.

You know that pilot voice that comes on at the end of a flight?
The one that says, "Thanks for flying our airline yada yada"?
It's automatic.
Part of the expected.
Like the sound of your computer booting up, or Bob Brenly saying, "It's another dead ass team."

So when this pilot went off the normal script and said, "Welcome to Chicago. Home of the 1908 World Champion Chicago Cubs," it totally took everybody by surprise.

And it wasn't just a small laugh that resulted.

You have to think that while there's a large group of Chicago people on a plane landing in Chicago, there also has to be a significant chunk of people from other cities, too.
Not that I'm unused to the idea that the Cubs are a national joke, it was just odd that it happened live rather than on say, Conan or something.

Anyway, I laughed too.

Then I turned my phone on, hit the ESPN app.

Cubs were down zero to 2 in the first inning.

Sometimes, the Cubs imitate art.
Or maybe life imitates the Cubs.

One of those.

Comments

RF Fuke, 2B Barney, SS Castro, 1B Pena, 3B Ramy, LF DeWitt, CF Colvin, C Hill, P Davis

National Joke? Why not International Joke. I'm wondering what the pilot says when landing in Tokyo.

Chicago Cubs, Harry Caray.

Tim might be able to use this pic:

HA! Thanks, I'm always looking for inspiration.

OK, you know the drill. How many runs do the Cubs give up in the first inning today?

I go with 4.

Amazing, only 1. Could have been much more, and I have a feeling Davis isn't going to go deep in this game.

Dodgers are kind of a joke lately as well. Just got this from them. .

IT'S TIME FOR RED, WHITE, AND DODGER BLUE SALE ENDS TOMORROW AT 9AM

Don't forget to make your plans for the 4th of July! Take advantage of this incredible offer with Reserve Level tickets on sale for $4, Loge Level for $14 (normally $70-$80), and Field Level for $24 (normally $120-$130). Act now, sale ends TOMORROW at 9am.

Enter promo code JULY4 to get these unbeatable savings!

Selig and MLB have to be thrilled. Blatant attempt to raise quick cash to make their next payroll (or pay for McCourt's personal bills).

I think it's time for Doug Davis to be released. Start Casey Coleman, I don't care, but Davis has nothing.

marshall's day to fuck things up...

terrible 1-2 pitch to utley

I said when the inning started that this inning was the game and Wood should have been in. Marshall could have pitched the 8th if needed, hopefully at the bottom of the order. Marshall has struggled vs. the middle of the order this series.

And why did they pitch to Howard? I thought for sure they should have walked him. I know he's a strikeout possibility, but c'mon, face Francisco instead.

well other than Marshall has pitched better than Wood this year and has better numbers versus lefties and righties than Wood, your hindsight plan sounds awesome.

It wasn't hindsight, I said it before the inning began here at home. And I know Marshall has better numbers vs lefties than Wood, but Marshall hasn't gotten these guys out in this series. Why keep doing the same thing and hoping something different happens? Try Wood there. That inning was the game, anyone with a brain could see that coming. Even Marmol in the spot would have made more sense. Pitch your best reliever(s) in the spot where the game is on the line. Then to keep us in the game, we get Rodrigo Lopez and John Grabow pitching the 8th.

Extremely poorly managed game by Quade.

They did use their best reliever. And who would you have used in the 9th if you used marmol? Unless you're grand plan involved no one getting on base in the 7th or 8th.

Either Kerry Wood is unavailable for the game or Quade is a complete idiot.

Both could be true :)

Both are true. Wood has a blister and is headed for the DL. Only god knows where MQ is headed. Too bad you can't put managers on the DL.

about to bitch about letting Hill hit here in the bottom of the 9th and he singles of course.

meh, soto misses a hr by a few feet and then pops up to end it...

C'mon, guys... Tom Ricketts isn't ready to give up on the season yet, neither am I.

There's been all this talk about moving around teams to balance out the leagues. I might suggest moving the Chicago Cubs to the Midwest League.

...to the Midwest League.
---
great, so we'd have to watch the Cubs play crappy ball vs the Beloit Snappers

It's been a long time since a Cub manager outmaneuvered his opposing manager. Not much to recall on a positive front there since Piniella in 2008.

per Muskat...from the White Album

K Wood has blisters on his fingers, might be going to the DL

This Cub season is being scripted by the writers of All My Children...which will have their season end in september too. Tom Ricketts consideringnErica Kane for GM.

"We stinks" -- Susan Lucci

• crunch 6 hours 3 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 6 hours 4 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 6 hours 36 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 7 hours 39 sec ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 17 hours 9 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 17 hours 18 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 17 hours 37 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.