Tuesday Cubs News Round-Up
Some bits of news from the latest news cycle, most of it mentioned in the comments in the thread below.
- I admit missing out on this rather crucial piece of information, but apparently Aramis Ramirez 2012 option is a mutual option. Technically, if the Cubs exercise the $16M option, he can void it and forfeit the $2M buyout, and his agent suggests that with Hendry gone, that's looking more likely now.
I'm not sure if that's good or bad news yet. $16M for one season is a bit expensive for Ramirez, but there's not a lot out there to play the hot corner either.
- Tracy Ringolsby goes after Cubs team president Crane Kenney today over on Fox Sports.
You've got to love Ricketts saying Kenney is absolved of all blame for what transpires on the field because Kenney is confined to business matters. Yeah, business matters like overruling Hendry on more than one occasion because Kenney felt outside pressure to reel in high-priced veterans.
Veterans like Alfonso Soriano, who Hendry had declared would not get more than a five-year guarantee only to have Kenney's business sense overrule him and provide an eight-year sentence to the organization with its obligation to Soriano.
It was pointed out on Twitter that then president John McDonough took responsibility for the extra years on Soriano's contract, which Ringolsby acknowledges, but also claims to "trust his sources".
- In the same link as the Aramis article, prospect Dillon Maples says Hendry was a big reason for him signing.
- Yet another prospective GM list, this time from Tim Brown at Yahoo.
- The Astros put Wandy Rodriguez on waivers and he was claimed. Doubtful it's the Cubs with a captainless ship at the moment, but I wouldn't have minded adding him(it's not, it's the Rockies). He's owed just $10M next year, $13M in 2013 and a $13M team option in 2014 with a $2.5M buyout. He's put up ERA numbers of 3.54, 3.02, 3.60, 3.31 since 2008 and will be 33 next year.
- Andrew Cashner has a rehab outing for the Tennessee Smokies tonight, allegedly can be watched for free on MILB.tv.
- Speaking of the Smokies, Eric Jokisch in his second start since being promoted from Peoria went 6 innings, struck out 10 against 2 walks and 3 hits, while giving up just a run. Vitters went 3/3 with a double in the same game. Brett Jackson keeps going with a 2/4 night for Iowa. Zeke DeVoss went 4/6 for Boise with a double.
Check this: If the Cubs just play .500 until the end of the season, from today on May 6th, they are at 89 wins.
How we would have drooled for that in 2010.
Carrie Muskat [email protected]
Shane Victorino added to Iowa #Cubs roster today
The awesome quote was something like "Just gotta play a little country hardball..."
It was awesome. I envisioned him in snake-skin boots, Stetson, and a lump of dip in his lip with his Texas gun strapped to his hip.
Listening to an interview with Lackey on WSCR - he sounds a bit like a gruff Fozzie Bear
FWIW -- Lackey was the only RH batter to get a hit off of Scherzer. KB and Baez were 0-for-6 with 6Ks. Gotta love lefty/righty balance, and switch-hitters.
Somebody needs to explain to Richard the concept of run differential. Dammit, this was a tough one to absorb.
In the same vein, I hope we can now dispense with "LaStella sucks as a starter".
They just wanted to get Rondon a save is why they gave up those runs. Madden is a genius that way....
15 games over .500...not a bad place to be on may 6th.
Brian Schlitter moments aside - what a sweet win!
this ump...at least he seems consistently shitty.
c.richard with another outing making him look expendable...
hey may be a righty, but f.pena put in another strong night last night...2ip 0h 1bb 3k
last thing the club seems to need is another reliever, though. the cubs starters keep putting lack-of-work pressure on the pen more than anything so far.
Good thing Bryant can play multiple positions. If he was only a 3B he'd be frustrated sitting.
I think it might have been just the push he needed.
I believe +411 by the '39 Yankees is the all-time record.
From now on maybe there's no point keeping score of the game, just track the run differential.