Mets Fan Says, "smile for the birdie(s)"

Fukudome at bat after the 10th inning ARam HR. Click on the link to enlarge the fan behind the home plate ump.

Comments

at second glance, that might be Mark Cuban

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.
---------

or maybe it's Jason Marquis charting pitches?

Wells back to Chicago for an MRI on his forearm

Lou extension/retirement talk

Soto will catch 2 of 3 this weekend in Milwaukee

i also thought that it looked like cuban

by the way, photo above noticed and snapshot taken by "Little Cubster" (Go Ken Go...)

Stay classy, New York.

I bet that looked much sharper in WGN HD.

Dusty tells off press-

More interesting part is that Dusty says he has no say on who gets signed to play with Reds.

A few thoughts about the above article:

How would you feel if Dusty reacted to rumors of your dating his daughter by saying, "She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low?"
Dude, that is rough. If I were Korey I'd be all like, "Dude, that is harsh!"

What exactly is Korey's contract status?

How sad is it that Dusty defends his decision to play Korey by saying, "Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Congratulations Korey, you are duly dubbed the tallest midget.

Well, that's not much of an argument. No one wants to go to Cincinnati. Korey could still be banging her on road trips, though.

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?
****************************************
Um, I'd guess he said it right about here:

---Former general manager Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini had told him to get the Patterson deal done, the implication being that Baker was behind the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"---

Yeah, that is pretty much where he claims that he has no input on who gets signed.

Can you really blame the guy? Hell, a Cub fan once charged the mound after Myers blew another lead. And that guy went on to think up an insipid phrase.

Non-cub trivia. Who does this refer to:

"I just can't believe the number of guys who really dislike him," said one clubhouse insider. "It got to a point early on when I thought they were going to get together and go after him."

My first guess would be Transmission.

How long are you going to make us wait?

Wrong. I'm going to make you wait for 45 more seconds.

Answer: Ichiro!

Japan's most lovable ballplayer isn't so loved by everyone, it seems. I still love you, though, Ichiro.

I looked it up, and I cannot believe it. I love watching this dude play.

Me too! It was a real two in the pink, one in the stink.

Further along another 'insider' defends Ichiro, so who knows what's really going on. Considering he has to find ways to stay motivated on a consistently shitty and directionless club, I think he's performed admirably.

A buddy of mine lives in Seattle and showed me this link from USSMariner:

I love fans who still pull for a team, and care, despite pulling for one of the worst teams in baseball this year.

That's a good take. I live in Seattle too and like to take in a few Mariner games a year...mainly inter-league and to see Ichiro play. He's a flamboyant personality, that's for damn sure, but he's also one the best ball players I've personally had the chance to watch.

if we were Mets fans, we'd all be giving the one-finger salute to the Mets bullpen as well.

Actually, I believe the picture shows a two-finger salute. Or maybe a double one-finger salute.

yep...2 fingers worth of bird flippin'

...maybe he's just ordering two beers, new york style
... or making sure the mets outfielders know how many outs there are

• Ryan Kellogg is still a fringy prospect despite being very old for low-A. He's putting up very good numbers no matter who he's facihg.

John Beasley 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • Great article on Yosh and Nobe. Thanks for including it Trans.

Hagsag 1 hour 40 min ago view
  • Phil, it looks like Kevonte Mitchell has made some progress this Spring. Your thoughts please, thanks.

Hagsag 1 hour 45 min ago view
  • so far ryan williams (AAA) is the only system prospect on the "could be ready soon" horizon doing well...that said, he's not very exciting and he's assumed to be an end-rotation talent at best.

paul blackburn is getting great early returns in AA, but he's getting surprisingly low K numbers doing it. he throws lot of low/sinking stuff with good control...also assumed to be an end-rotation guy, but he's got room to be better, especially given his control as base to build on.

• Speaking of pitching -- another ugly outing for Underwood at AA. Through 6 starts: 5.19 ERA, WHIP 1.69. Yikes!

Man, do we need starting pitching depth. Our best hopes are still hanging with AZ Phil in Arizona. Very scary.

• jeebus... that's terrible.

Ryno 9 hours 40 sec ago view
  • *clap* *clap* *clap*

Brick 11 hours 1 min ago view
  • Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.

• Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.

I'm also very happy to hear about the bi-level bump for Daniel Lewis. In the Name of Theo, he was the Last of the Full-Season Cuts, and There Will Be Blood for those who unnecessarily slow his development. Sure, he might end up in independent ball pitching for Lincoln. But if everything breaks right, he may even have a shot at joining up with the Gangs of Chicago. I wouldn't bet My Left Foot on it, though.

John Beasley 12 hours 23 min ago view
  • CHARLIE: The Cubs did the same thing with LHSP Eric Jokisch last month, and it has nothing to do with needing the player's 40-man roster slot.

The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.

Arizona Phil 12 hours 25 min ago view
  • Moosetacos, I like it. All I can think of is a bearded lumberjack dude operating a Mexican style taco truck with a Canadian accent.

Sonicwind75 13 hours 59 sec ago view
  • How strange is this for May? Is it insignificant, or does it suggest some sort of trade might be in the works?

• The Cubs have sent LHRP C. J. Riefenhauser outright to Iowa.

Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).

Arizona Phil 13 hours 49 min ago view
  • yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.

gordon broke his wrist, expected to miss 4+ weeks...and today moosetacos has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. fun times in KC.

• dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.

fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.

• jacos 17 hours 34 min ago view