Mets Fan Says, "smile for the birdie(s)"

Fukudome at bat after the 10th inning ARam HR. Click on the link to enlarge the fan behind the home plate ump.

Comments

at second glance, that might be Mark Cuban

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.
---------

or maybe it's Jason Marquis charting pitches?

Wells back to Chicago for an MRI on his forearm

Lou extension/retirement talk

Soto will catch 2 of 3 this weekend in Milwaukee

i also thought that it looked like cuban

by the way, photo above noticed and snapshot taken by "Little Cubster" (Go Ken Go...)

Stay classy, New York.

I bet that looked much sharper in WGN HD.

Dusty tells off press-

More interesting part is that Dusty says he has no say on who gets signed to play with Reds.

A few thoughts about the above article:

How would you feel if Dusty reacted to rumors of your dating his daughter by saying, "She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low?"
Dude, that is rough. If I were Korey I'd be all like, "Dude, that is harsh!"

What exactly is Korey's contract status?

How sad is it that Dusty defends his decision to play Korey by saying, "Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Congratulations Korey, you are duly dubbed the tallest midget.

Well, that's not much of an argument. No one wants to go to Cincinnati. Korey could still be banging her on road trips, though.

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?
****************************************
Um, I'd guess he said it right about here:

---Former general manager Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini had told him to get the Patterson deal done, the implication being that Baker was behind the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"---

Yeah, that is pretty much where he claims that he has no input on who gets signed.

Can you really blame the guy? Hell, a Cub fan once charged the mound after Myers blew another lead. And that guy went on to think up an insipid phrase.

Non-cub trivia. Who does this refer to:

"I just can't believe the number of guys who really dislike him," said one clubhouse insider. "It got to a point early on when I thought they were going to get together and go after him."

My first guess would be Transmission.

How long are you going to make us wait?

Wrong. I'm going to make you wait for 45 more seconds.

Answer: Ichiro!

Japan's most lovable ballplayer isn't so loved by everyone, it seems. I still love you, though, Ichiro.

I looked it up, and I cannot believe it. I love watching this dude play.

Me too! It was a real two in the pink, one in the stink.

Further along another 'insider' defends Ichiro, so who knows what's really going on. Considering he has to find ways to stay motivated on a consistently shitty and directionless club, I think he's performed admirably.

A buddy of mine lives in Seattle and showed me this link from USSMariner:

I love fans who still pull for a team, and care, despite pulling for one of the worst teams in baseball this year.

That's a good take. I live in Seattle too and like to take in a few Mariner games a year...mainly inter-league and to see Ichiro play. He's a flamboyant personality, that's for damn sure, but he's also one the best ball players I've personally had the chance to watch.

if we were Mets fans, we'd all be giving the one-finger salute to the Mets bullpen as well.

Actually, I believe the picture shows a two-finger salute. Or maybe a double one-finger salute.

yep...2 fingers worth of bird flippin'

...maybe he's just ordering two beers, new york style
... or making sure the mets outfielders know how many outs there are

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

billybucks 6 hours 29 sec ago view
  • There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 6 hours 6 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 6 hours 34 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 14 hours 3 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view