Mets Fan Says, "smile for the birdie(s)"

Fukudome at bat after the 10th inning ARam HR. Click on the link to enlarge the fan behind the home plate ump.

Comments

at second glance, that might be Mark Cuban

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.
---------

or maybe it's Jason Marquis charting pitches?

Wells back to Chicago for an MRI on his forearm

Lou extension/retirement talk

Soto will catch 2 of 3 this weekend in Milwaukee

i also thought that it looked like cuban

by the way, photo above noticed and snapshot taken by "Little Cubster" (Go Ken Go...)

Stay classy, New York.

I bet that looked much sharper in WGN HD.

Dusty tells off press-

More interesting part is that Dusty says he has no say on who gets signed to play with Reds.

A few thoughts about the above article:

How would you feel if Dusty reacted to rumors of your dating his daughter by saying, "She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low?"
Dude, that is rough. If I were Korey I'd be all like, "Dude, that is harsh!"

What exactly is Korey's contract status?

How sad is it that Dusty defends his decision to play Korey by saying, "Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Congratulations Korey, you are duly dubbed the tallest midget.

Well, that's not much of an argument. No one wants to go to Cincinnati. Korey could still be banging her on road trips, though.

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?
****************************************
Um, I'd guess he said it right about here:

---Former general manager Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini had told him to get the Patterson deal done, the implication being that Baker was behind the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"---

Yeah, that is pretty much where he claims that he has no input on who gets signed.

Can you really blame the guy? Hell, a Cub fan once charged the mound after Myers blew another lead. And that guy went on to think up an insipid phrase.

Non-cub trivia. Who does this refer to:

"I just can't believe the number of guys who really dislike him," said one clubhouse insider. "It got to a point early on when I thought they were going to get together and go after him."

My first guess would be Transmission.

How long are you going to make us wait?

Wrong. I'm going to make you wait for 45 more seconds.

Answer: Ichiro!

Japan's most lovable ballplayer isn't so loved by everyone, it seems. I still love you, though, Ichiro.

I looked it up, and I cannot believe it. I love watching this dude play.

Me too! It was a real two in the pink, one in the stink.

Further along another 'insider' defends Ichiro, so who knows what's really going on. Considering he has to find ways to stay motivated on a consistently shitty and directionless club, I think he's performed admirably.

A buddy of mine lives in Seattle and showed me this link from USSMariner:

I love fans who still pull for a team, and care, despite pulling for one of the worst teams in baseball this year.

That's a good take. I live in Seattle too and like to take in a few Mariner games a year...mainly inter-league and to see Ichiro play. He's a flamboyant personality, that's for damn sure, but he's also one the best ball players I've personally had the chance to watch.

if we were Mets fans, we'd all be giving the one-finger salute to the Mets bullpen as well.

Actually, I believe the picture shows a two-finger salute. Or maybe a double one-finger salute.

yep...2 fingers worth of bird flippin'

...maybe he's just ordering two beers, new york style
... or making sure the mets outfielders know how many outs there are

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 4 hours 36 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 4 hours 53 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 10 hours 49 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 10 hours 51 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 15 hours 7 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.