The Savior knocked out 3 hits including his 9th home run last year and is up to 190 hits. That's 10 hits shy of the magic 200 mark for the math impaired. He has 15 games to do it, which I don't believe will be a problem unless Q-Ball decides he needs another life lesson on the bench. By my back of the envelope calculations, if he stays healthy, he's on pace to reach 3,000 hits by age 36, sometime during the 2026 season.
- Baseball America took to some list making and recently rated the Cubs 2005 draft as the worst of the lot. A look at the 2006 draft, the first under Tim Wilken sees them moving up 5 spots.
$11.5 million investment in Tyler Colvin (1), Jeff Samardzija (5) has yet to pay off.
That year the Cubs lost their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks by signing Bob Howry (Type A), Scott Eyre (Type A) and Jacque Jones (Type B). Their 1st round pick was protected since it was in the top half of the draft. Other notable (notorious?) picks from that draft were Steve Clevenger, Jacob Renshaw (traded to Orioles for Trachsel), Chris Huseby ($1.3M bonus, released by Boston in August), Marcus Hatley, Matt Camp and Blake Parker.
- I've been trying to put together useful draft lists over at Wiklifield and have roughly gotten through 2009-2011. I think the 2009 one has some nifty information. You can now see bonus info that I can track down plus where the prospects are now. There's also a partial Cubs Draft Bonuses list that has started to come together. As I get more information inputted, the more it will fill out.
- Baseball Prospectus now has normalized sortabe minor league stats, although I'd prefer they defaulted to TAV rather than BWARP, cause who the hell would trust minor league fielding stats?
- According to Shawon Dunston Jr. and Arizona Phil, players report for Arizona Instructs this Thursday with the first game being next Friday, September 23rd.
- Poor John Gaub last night...makes his major league debut and is flawless in his first inning. Be nice to go out on a high note, but alas, Q-Ball decides to go a second inning with him and he ends up letting the first two runners on and they score.
- Tuesday's lineup
Castro SS, Barney 2B, Ramirez 3B, Pena 1B, LaHair RF, Soriano LF, Byrd CF, Soto C, Dempster P
Phillips 2B, Renteria SS, Votto 1B, Bruce RF, Alonso LF, Stubbs CF, Francisco 3B, Mesoraco C, Leake P
Cubs still in the 7th spot and going the wrong way.
- Smokies will battle Mobile (DBacks affiliate) in the Southern League Championship starting tomorrow. Marco Carrillo is the game 1 starter.
- Aramis Ramirez said that he wants a multi-year deal and is open to it being with the Cubs. That should make the offseason decision easy enough. Cubs should choose to exercise his $16M option, he wil then opt to void it and then the Cubs can offer him arbitration. He certainly won't accept it and the Cubs can get a first or second round pick for him if he signs elsewhere. And they still can try to negotiate a multi-year deal if they wish.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.
BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!!
great time to have a kid...much approved. more teams should be inducing labor around the cubs schedule.
cruising fast now
How does one strain a bone?
Also, what is the Cubs' record with Schwarb in the lineup?
Len just said Cubs are last in the majors in batting average. I had to look that up to confirm it. Methinks the opposite will be true in a few years.
So much congratulations!!
Goldschmidt back in AZ for birth of child.
I removed the work that dynamically updated the comments sections. Guess too many were experiencing a slow down.
Der Kaiser out 3-5 days with rib strain.
Will be reevaluated then.
Dear Webmaster: Current home page loading time is slightly over 1 minute 15 seconds. Opening this page was similar.
These are minutes of my life I can't get back. Sad but true. There is a fracture, I need to fix it.
Just took a long time to open right now
The magic number is now 23.
SF continues their kickass losing streak (6 games).
WAS is suddenly back in the WC competition mix via SF's suck. SF 7.0 games back and WAS 7.5 games back is a hell of a distance for either team to climb at this point in the season.
Nice stuff tonight...
Brewers sweep Pirates, 5-3
Giants losing to Rockies 9-2, 5th
Dodgers losing 2-0 to SD, early. Corey Seager strikes out in 1st MLB at-bat.