The Savior knocked out 3 hits including his 9th home run last year and is up to 190 hits. That's 10 hits shy of the magic 200 mark for the math impaired. He has 15 games to do it, which I don't believe will be a problem unless Q-Ball decides he needs another life lesson on the bench. By my back of the envelope calculations, if he stays healthy, he's on pace to reach 3,000 hits by age 36, sometime during the 2026 season.
- Baseball America took to some list making and recently rated the Cubs 2005 draft as the worst of the lot. A look at the 2006 draft, the first under Tim Wilken sees them moving up 5 spots.
$11.5 million investment in Tyler Colvin (1), Jeff Samardzija (5) has yet to pay off.
That year the Cubs lost their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks by signing Bob Howry (Type A), Scott Eyre (Type A) and Jacque Jones (Type B). Their 1st round pick was protected since it was in the top half of the draft. Other notable (notorious?) picks from that draft were Steve Clevenger, Jacob Renshaw (traded to Orioles for Trachsel), Chris Huseby ($1.3M bonus, released by Boston in August), Marcus Hatley, Matt Camp and Blake Parker.
- I've been trying to put together useful draft lists over at Wiklifield and have roughly gotten through 2009-2011. I think the 2009 one has some nifty information. You can now see bonus info that I can track down plus where the prospects are now. There's also a partial Cubs Draft Bonuses list that has started to come together. As I get more information inputted, the more it will fill out.
- Baseball Prospectus now has normalized sortabe minor league stats, although I'd prefer they defaulted to TAV rather than BWARP, cause who the hell would trust minor league fielding stats?
- According to Shawon Dunston Jr. and Arizona Phil, players report for Arizona Instructs this Thursday with the first game being next Friday, September 23rd.
- Poor John Gaub last night...makes his major league debut and is flawless in his first inning. Be nice to go out on a high note, but alas, Q-Ball decides to go a second inning with him and he ends up letting the first two runners on and they score.
- Tuesday's lineup
Castro SS, Barney 2B, Ramirez 3B, Pena 1B, LaHair RF, Soriano LF, Byrd CF, Soto C, Dempster P
Phillips 2B, Renteria SS, Votto 1B, Bruce RF, Alonso LF, Stubbs CF, Francisco 3B, Mesoraco C, Leake P
Cubs still in the 7th spot and going the wrong way.
- Smokies will battle Mobile (DBacks affiliate) in the Southern League Championship starting tomorrow. Marco Carrillo is the game 1 starter.
- Aramis Ramirez said that he wants a multi-year deal and is open to it being with the Cubs. That should make the offseason decision easy enough. Cubs should choose to exercise his $16M option, he wil then opt to void it and then the Cubs can offer him arbitration. He certainly won't accept it and the Cubs can get a first or second round pick for him if he signs elsewhere. And they still can try to negotiate a multi-year deal if they wish.
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother