Cubs Set Playoff Rotation

As announced earlier, Ryan Dempster will go Game 1 and he'll be followed by Carlos Zambrano, Rich Harden and finally Ted Lilly if a  Game 4 is necessary.

I would have preferred Dempster, Harden, Z and then Lilly, but Harden's start last night where he seemed to be topping out at 90 mph most of the game was worrisome, although he still managed to never really get hit hard. If the series does go five games, the Cubs will start with Dempster and then it will be possible to use Zambrano on four days rest, followed by Marmol and Wood to finish it.

That makes the Cubs 7th inning problems, seem not so problematic.

Comments

Sounds like Mets might use Santana on Saturday on short rest. Means they theoretically could bring him back again for game 1, on short rest...or, maybe they would be fine having him go game 2 and game 5 on regular rest.

Z versus Santana at Wrigley would be quite interesting.

let's hope, I'll take Johan on his second short rest start.

What's the benefit of the Cubs announcing their rotation this early?

how does it hurt?

Howry. Such a waste.

our bullpen is really bad.

Do we need to worry about Soto?

from the Daily Herald

Catcher Geovany Soto left the game in the sixth inning when he fouled
off a pitch. He felt some pain in his troublesome left hand but later
said he was fine and that he could play this weekend.

I say give him week end off.

He's too valuable to miss any playoff time

"Old Luke just smiled..."

I would have preferred Dempster, Harden, Z and then Lilly

one possible factor is having zambrano start at wrigley as opposed to on the road. i think a hostile crowd would get under his skin much faster than the skin of either lilly or harden. (or even dempster).
i have no idea if this is even a consideration for lou.
nor how big a concern it is.

here's hoping soriano turns the "hot" switch back on.

I think Zambrano would have taken being the 3rd starter as an insult and that would have gotten in his head. Not that it should be a consideration, but Big Z has some man-child tendencies. Plus the way he's pitched the last two games, Cubs may need that day off after his start to rest the bullpen.

from DC

here's hoping soriano turns the "hot" switch back on
----------------

Maybe Lou will just help Sori "get his mind right."

Hopefully they will not have a failure to communicate.

recently, fonzie's offense has been "shakin' the bush, here, boss"

I can eat 50 eggs...

and he said this before competitive eating was fashionable

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 2 hours 41 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 3 hours 8 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 3 hours 35 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 5 hours 3 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 6 hours 38 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 8 hours 18 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 19 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 21 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 8 hours 23 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 8 hours 31 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 8 hours 33 min ago view