Matt Garza, and if innings were dogs.

Man, life ain't fair.
Oh wait, this isn't life, it's the Cubs.
Which is worse.
Matt Garza gives up a first inning run, then shuts down the Houston Astros all the way til Carlos Lee comes up with 2 outs and a man on in the top of the 9th.
Ding.
Ties it up, ruins Garza's day.

He finishes all 9, but it's not til the 12th that the Cubs can get another run and beat the worst team by FAR in all of baseball.
If the Cubs pull out a win today, it'll be Houston's 100th loss.
They're 36 and a half out.
They have 8 more losses than the 2nd worse team in baseball, the Minnesota Twins.

Ah, but today the Cubs have to trot out Rodrigo Lopez.
I believe Rodrigo averages about 5 innings a game, yet somehow he's got 5 wins to go with the 6 losses, and every time I see him in a game I...

You know what?
Nevermind.
Beating a dead horse.

But I hope the dog thing gets you at least a tiny laugh.

Comments

every day lahair does something is another day soriano playing for someone else becomes more likely...

it won't be a pretty trade...hopefully they'll suck it up rather than taking on a useless crap-ball pitcher and pretending he needs to get starts. at least they cut their last one in spring rather than pretending they needed to keep him on in 2011...even if it ultimately didn't matter.

can they shift both Z and soriano, though? hell of an offseason task for a new GM.

Soriano for Zito? lolz.

Soriano for Adam Dunn - BAM!

good one again this go around, btw, CB.

This blog has gone to the dogs.

Thanks.
And...Can't wait to see what new gm can do here.

What could this mean? (Sign held by a couple of fem-fans in LF bleachers.)

"I'm Starlin for Castro"

len was confused to...so was me and my fiance.

I pun on Jonesin is only thing I can think of.

Maybe Starvin'-->Starlin? Or maybe they are just morons. "I'm Darwin' for Barney!" "I'm Koyie for Hill!" "I'm Reed-y for Johnson!" Well, that last one actually works a bit. . .

That's undoubtedly it.

Maybe they are just dumb whores?

It makes sense the same way it makes sense that Ricketts keeps his squash partner, Crane Kenney, on the payroll.
I wish I could trust the Ricketts family to make good decisions. Meanwhile, I'm gonna stick with the Mayan calendar predicitions. Cubs in 2012!

they're enthusiastically doing "the wave" @wrigley.

okay, im now a english soccer fan rather than a baseball fan.

it's been fun. later, all.

True Cubs fans disdain the wave. Oust the fraudulent fans! Nevermind, that would just about empty the place.
Meanwhile, Joe (the "best second baseman" &*^%$)Morgan, is doing the Chicken Dance at Cincinnati's Oktoberfest today.

ha...it's probably cuz of morgan's old batting "tick" where he winged he arms up/down as a timing mechanism.

there was a shocking full house today, btw...people must be wanting to get the last of the summer in doing something/anything before the hardcore cold rolls in. last night it wasn't nearly as full.

cubbies win 2 nailbiters in a row...too bad fun and competitive cubs wins are coming from the 100 loss astros.

sigh.

As wins go, these are lose-lose. Not only do they not indicate that the Cubs are improving, they also move the Cubs farther down the draft pick line. Hell, they aren't even spoiling anyone.

yeah, it's go-nowhere petty wins, but it's been 2 fun games to watch. there haven't been enough of those on the cubs side this year.

Today was the Cubs' 4000th win at Wrigley.

And nobody is mentioning that the hr today was LaHair's 200th hit of the season.

lol. wut? I don't know if that's a joke or just a mistake.

Lahair is fun to watch. The usual pitching adjustment may not come this year. Just not enough time.

Wscr host today said some scouts gave lahair as .270 hitter with 25 hr power.

Yeah give Pena another contract

Submitted by Old and Blue on Sat, 09/17/2011 - 5:05pm.

===========================

O&B: With all the time LaHair has spent in the minors, he's not exactly an unknown to the pitchers around the National League. Many of them probably faced him while coming up through the minors.

The league making an adjustment to the player and then the player having to adjust back applies more to younger players with minimal minor league experience than it would to somebody like LaHair.

You'd still feel a lot more comfortable about him had he got 200 PAs instead of 45.

Time to bench Soriano, Johnson and Byrd, in my opinion. Let the "kids" play, to give the new GM some more info about his 2012 40 man.

Everyday outfield of LaHair Campana Colvin? What's it going to hurt. It'd be nice to see DJ get a start at second once in a while since he's up. Not like we need to see more Barney right now.

Pena and Aramis are probably the only two veterans who need to continue to start pretty much every day.

LeHair is first baseman, play him there.

I'm pretty sure LaHair has played more minor league games in LF than anywhere else. He's below average as either a LF or 1B regardless. But Pena will be manning first base at least until his type B status is cemented.

724 at 1st
132 in Left
45 in "OF"
23 in Right
according to BR.

Bryan LaHair played more games in LF than at 1B in both 2009 (at Tacoma) & 2010 (at Iowa), although he played mostly 1B for the I-Cubs this season.

Part of that is probably a function of who else was on the roster.

Quade in postgame interview said he's playing the kids sunday. not sure what that means other than giving Soriano and Aaram the day off...I hate the lineups that have Baker batting 4th.

• Do you start him Sunday or not?

@jonmorosi Pitchers w/ sub-2.00 ERA in year of 185+ IP this century: Pedro ’00, Clemens ’05, Kershaw ’13/’14, Arrieta ’15, Greinke ’15, Hendricks ’16.

Rob G. 1 hour 10 min ago view
  • Yeah -- that would be rough for him. But, Monty is getting people out, he's a lefty and he has experience working out of the bullpen. Hammel? None of the above.

• even if he's not starting, abandoning hammel would be a bit of a 'screw you.' i think it might be -monty +hammel, but it's speculation.

either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.

• Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

- 4 starters, Chapman, Rondon, Strop, CJ, Wood, Grimm, Monty. No dice for Cahill or Smith.
    - 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?

• Cubs 3B Jason Vosler made two really bad throws on consecutive AB in the 8th. Fortunately the game was no longer in doubt at the time

The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.

Arizona Phil 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Despite the HR, Donnie Dewees is really more of a slash hitter (the HR was an opposite-field line-drive) who can accumulate lots of doubles & triples. He's also a good bunter and can get on base that way, too. Although he was thrown out trying to steal in the game, he's actually a good base-stealer and baserunner.

Defensively he has plus-range and tracks fly balls OK, so he can play CF, but he has a rag arm that requires the middle infielders to go out further into CF to make relays.

Arizona Phil 3 hours 53 min ago view
  • I don't know how many of you remember Bobby Knoop, who played 2B for the Angels, White Sox, and Royals back in the day, but he is a coach-emeritus for the Angels, and works with the infielders at Minor League Camp, Extended Spring Training, and Instructs. He's pretty spry for a 77-year old, and he really knows his shit.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 20 min ago view
  • With a big lead, Chapman was throwing sliders and changeups, something he's reluctant to do in a save situation. (Len and Jim covered this.)

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 29 min ago view
  • Maybe they have a bad owner, I don't know, but they still have players and fans and a franchise, all devastated by this loss of life. Plus, everybody who follows baseball is a fan of a guy like this. It's why I used the word tragedy, which other people throw around but I try to be careful with.

I'm at an age where I remember old incidents better than recent ones, but I have to go back to Herb Score for something as disturbing.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 45 min ago view
  • That was Dee Gordon's only HR this year. Wow.

• Thank you PHIL.

Glad you avoided temps in the 100s.

I remember you mentioning Dewees needng plenty of work in th IF. How are his OF instincts?

Also, did see much of Satchel McElroy? Only Satchel I have heard about other than the "orignal" and one of Woody Allen's kids.

• Hate to give the Mets credit, but they did everything right tonight in what had to be a very tough game for them to play. As Hollandsworth said on the Cubs post-game -- if you watched the game, you saw Mets players consoling Marlins players who were in tears during the game. Between that and the way Molina handled the Ross farewell -- maybe the Mets and Cardinal players aren't pure evil. Just the fans.

• New York Mets @Mets
    Dee Gordon lead-off home run. #AintEvenMad #BiggerThanBaseball 1-0 Miami.
    7:25 PM - 26 Sep 2016

• Amazing effort by Gordon -- truly remarkable.

• Cubs get 100, KB gets 100, Hendricks gets below 2.00, Cards get absolutely destroyed by the Reds -- all good, other than some Rondon concern. Hopefully, he can get a few outings in this week and find his groove. Also, I guess Soler is still struggling with his right side. Hmmmm. Too bad Joe didn't let Addy bat with the bases loaded in the 7th -- great RBI opportunity.

I assume all the relievers are on a set schedule this week, but it seems strange Chapman pitched back-to-back.

• Barry Rozner article interviewing Greg Maddux (with comments on Kyle Hendricks).

"I like watching him pitch," Maddux said of Hendricks. "I like guys that rely on movement and location. I can relate to him. That's what I had to do. "I'd rather watch him pitch than some lefty throwing 95 mph."

Cubster 16 hours 25 min ago view