Cubs Set Playoff Rotation

As announced earlier, Ryan Dempster will go Game 1 and he'll be followed by Carlos Zambrano, Rich Harden and finally Ted Lilly if a  Game 4 is necessary.

I would have preferred Dempster, Harden, Z and then Lilly, but Harden's start last night where he seemed to be topping out at 90 mph most of the game was worrisome, although he still managed to never really get hit hard. If the series does go five games, the Cubs will start with Dempster and then it will be possible to use Zambrano on four days rest, followed by Marmol and Wood to finish it.

That makes the Cubs 7th inning problems, seem not so problematic.

Comments

Sounds like Mets might use Santana on Saturday on short rest. Means they theoretically could bring him back again for game 1, on short rest...or, maybe they would be fine having him go game 2 and game 5 on regular rest.

Z versus Santana at Wrigley would be quite interesting.

let's hope, I'll take Johan on his second short rest start.

What's the benefit of the Cubs announcing their rotation this early?

how does it hurt?

Howry. Such a waste.

our bullpen is really bad.

Do we need to worry about Soto?

from the Daily Herald

Catcher Geovany Soto left the game in the sixth inning when he fouled
off a pitch. He felt some pain in his troublesome left hand but later
said he was fine and that he could play this weekend.

I say give him week end off.

He's too valuable to miss any playoff time

"Old Luke just smiled..."

I would have preferred Dempster, Harden, Z and then Lilly

one possible factor is having zambrano start at wrigley as opposed to on the road. i think a hostile crowd would get under his skin much faster than the skin of either lilly or harden. (or even dempster).
i have no idea if this is even a consideration for lou.
nor how big a concern it is.

here's hoping soriano turns the "hot" switch back on.

I think Zambrano would have taken being the 3rd starter as an insult and that would have gotten in his head. Not that it should be a consideration, but Big Z has some man-child tendencies. Plus the way he's pitched the last two games, Cubs may need that day off after his start to rest the bullpen.

from DC

here's hoping soriano turns the "hot" switch back on
----------------

Maybe Lou will just help Sori "get his mind right."

Hopefully they will not have a failure to communicate.

recently, fonzie's offense has been "shakin' the bush, here, boss"

I can eat 50 eggs...

and he said this before competitive eating was fashionable

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 2 hours 17 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 13 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 9 hours 27 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 10 hours 16 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 10 hours 19 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 10 hours 28 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 12 hours 56 min ago view
  • It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.

• Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th