Clevenger and Dolis Up
The Tennesee Smokies lost in the Southern League championship yesterday and the Mobile Bay Bears take the series 3-1. The upside for two members was a call-up to the Show to watch the other Cubs players over the last 10 days of the season. Congrats and here's your steak knives.
- The Red Sox death spiral would bring about interviews with Theo Epstein and his entourage a lot sooner, so you know where my rooting interests are. Not that I needed the further enticement to root against the Red Sox.
- Some absurd rumor that Ricketts have soured on Billy Beane because the Moneyball concept is not playing that well with the fans. I don't think 99% of Cubs fans really know what the "Moneyball" concept is, not to mention it's not all too dissimilar to what about 50% of teams are currently running now including the golden boy, Theo Epstein's organization.
- It doesn't appear an extension is happening for scouting director Tim Wilken, but he was told after Sunday to continue to operate as usual and will be kept on for the 2012 season.
- Marco Hernandez and Gioskar Amaya were named among the Top 20 prospects that played in the Arizona Rookie League.
- If Q-Ball has his say (and hopefully he won't in about 10 days), he'd consider Samardzija for the rotation but thinks Marshall is too valuable in the set-up role. Pretty much the opposite way I see it...I think trying Marshall in the rotation has a lot more upside, while I think Samardzija was more lucky than good this year.
- The Cubs still holding at the 7th spot in the draft, a half game behind the Royals for the 6th spot, but just a game ahead of the Pirates for the 8th spot.
Who are you? Andy Rooney?
Colbert has our backs
K-DUB: I get a chance to see the other MLB clubs Player Development operations out here and I have talked to scouts and other baseball people about it, and I can tell you that the Cubs Player Development program has gone from being almost a joke to one of THE best.
how did ej martinez go from asking for $10m, to supposedly mulling over $7m offers, to eventually signing for $3m?
...and what happened with him and the giants a few days ago?
Its not official until AZ Phil adds him to the Cubs Depth Chart!
Just freakin love it!
From Keith Law:
This from a Kiley McDaniel chat a couple weeks ago...
"Comment From Wrenzie
Who has more ceiling between Yusniel Diaz or Eddy Julio Martinez?
Kiley McDaniel: Martinez. I have Eddy (20 years old) as a 65 runner with a 55 arm and 50 raw power that profiles as an everyday CF that could be above average depending on if the bat is a 45 or a 55. I have Yusniel (19) as a 60 runner with a 55 arm and 40 raw power that can be an everyday guy if he hits enough (50 or 55)."
"Per Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com, Cubs reportedly have signed 20-year old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez for $3M bonus.
Arizona Phil 7 hours 23 min ago"
it's day old news, and it's got nothing to do with the cubs, but ichiro signed a $2m deal with MIA (with a $2m option for 2017).
neat. 41 years old and damn close to 3000 hits.
also, rain delays suck.
take that giants
I think that if a team objects to the 1-game wildcard playin game so much, they could just win the pennant and avoid themselves the trouble.
Per Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com, Cubs reportedly have signed 20-year old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez for $3M bonus.
BLOCK: Of course any advantage is an advantage. An MLB, NBA, or NHL team getting the extra game at home in a seven game series is an advantage, I just don't think it is enough of an advantage for winning a division and/or having the best record in a conference or league over the course of an 82-game season (NBA and NHL) or 162 game series (MLB).
TEX takes the opening game from TOR (@TOR) 5-3.
TOR lost bautista + donaldson in-game due to injuries...TEX lost beltre...dunno if any will be lingering issues leading to missed games.
Ride the Kid Magic! Schwarber hadn't homered in a long time before last night.