Cubs vs. Dodgers

It's all settled, the Dodgers and their league-leading pitching staff will roll into Chicago starting Wednesday. The Cubs were 5-2 against them this season, including a three game sweep at home in three low-scoring games. They split a four game set in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers ride into October with a 17-7 record, albeit it against an extremely easy schedule (Padres, Diamondbacks, Giants, Rockies, Pirates).

I think the Cubs are the far superior team, but the Dodgers do have a good staff and the games will probably be close and low-scoring. That means a lucky break or two and the Dodgers can make this interesting.

Comments

Dodgers are going to be tough. The Dodgers team that we were 5-2 against didn't have Rafeal Furcal, Casey Blake or Manny Ramirez. A couple of games I do remember between the 2 teams was Z having a major meltdown on a Saturday afternoon. Kurudo probably had one of the most dominating pitching perfomances against us the night before.

Kuroda had gave up 4 hits and had 11 strikeouts on June 6th.

I would have much preferred the Mets obviously, but lets take the challenge and beat em!

I am pretty sure they still dont have Furcal.

(EDIT): He did come on 9/24 and is 2 for 8 since coming back.

Hilarious sign.

go cubs, etc.

wsux win,
make-up game tomorrow for wsux, if they win, tiebreaker on tuesday.

Honestly, I'm still glad we don't have to worry about facing Santana twice in a short series.

I bought 2 tix for game 4...hopefully I'll tix to game 3 from someone at work.

Just got Tix at StubHub to Game 3! C'mon Cubbies let's sweep, I want to be there to see that!

got 2 for $25 each for Game 3 last week, picked up 2 for $50 each (all you can eat) for Game 4 today from mlb.com

Okay, where's the stupid schedule? I can't find dates & times for the playoff games yet. Grrr...

NM, times TBD

ROB, CHAD - lucky day!

I'm sure you will be there with Cubs gear on.

Derek Lowe gives us fits. We generally have a tough time in general against slow tossing, sinker ball pitchers. I hope he has an off night and puts the ball in the zone.

just got my tix on ebay. hopefully the guy will come through 100% feedbak and his number was real high.

It's entirely conceivable the Rob and the Angel Fan wife could be attending a World Series game on opposing sides...

*awkward*

we'll go together, I fear for our children more.

RobG's kids in 20 years:

"I don't like baseball. For some reason, it reminds me of yelling."

5:30 CST for Game 1

8:30 CST for Game 2 (damn, that's late)

17 seconds left. Bears might actually pull this one out. Dare we dream?

Wow, game over. Amazing goal line stand.

Damn, I should have bet on this game.

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

johann 25 min 22 sec ago view
  • TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 36 min 4 sec ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?

billybucks 46 min 29 sec ago view
  • Sorry to nitpick -- but the first game wasn't a save.

billybucks 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • Wow La Stella sent to Iowa and Coghlan brought up. I'm not a huge Stella fan but he has been hitting lately and is to me better than Coghlan. Neither are good defensively but I guess Coghlan can play the outfield allowing Bryant to stay at 3rd more where he's better.

johann 1 hour 2 min ago view
  • Not 2nd to last but Cubs are definitely bottom of the pack in the 2nd half in oWAR and wRC+. #1 in dWAR though which is certainly a good sign for the playoffs.

johann 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • I was going to say that you wouldn't want Heyward to achieve Soriano's OBP--.317 with the Cubs--but now I see that he's already done that. Pitchers have lost their fear of him.

Oh, well, at least Chapman seems to be as good as advertised.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 16 min ago view
  • Thanks to E-man and Quiet Man for the link on Chapman in a previous post. It's funny because I never really noticed Chapman's delivery until I saw him doing it in a blue uniform. Two saves in a Cubs uniform already. I hope they don't need him today, despite that smooth delivery.

Old and Blue 1 hour 18 min ago view
  • Cubs are middle of the pack in average, 5th in OPS, 2nd in walks, 4th in runs scored in MLB. Their runs scored ranks 17th in the MLB in July.

Boston, leading everything, continues to rake in July.

Old and Blue 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • Lester has given up one run or fewer in 11 starts this year. So I'd answer yes. Three of his last four starts were duds, yes. Not worried about him at all. Arrieta is concerning, to be sure. I look it at as, what he was doing was historic, so the regression was bound to happen. He showed in his start against the Mets that he's still capable, and I'd bet on him regaining his form.

Tito 2 hours 17 min ago view
  • marlins getting a.cashner and c.rea from SD

• This is not an attack...But In what stat are the Cubs second from last in MLB, in hitting? I don't see this.

Dusty Baylor 3 hours 30 min ago view
  • How odd the stats:

Cubs 1st in pitching in MLB

2nd to last in hitting.

In May they were 1st in both.

• trevor clifton (high-A) could be interesting in a couple seasons...could even become a high/middle rotation guy. he's got a lot of pluses in his pitching except control.

eric leal's (high-A) progression through the minors should be worth watching even if only projects to be an mid/end-rotation starter.

we also gotta keep a long-distance eye on guys like jose paulino (ss-A) and preston morrison (A).

• As Johnny Bach used to say when it was time for the MJ Bulls to crank up the defensive pressure: "Release the Dobermans!", and Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Harper would just suffocate the other team.

I'd love to add Carl Jr. to that group - he's got the stuff.

• Historically, the Moneyball guys have been great at identifying productive hitters. Not so much with pitchers.