Cubs vs. Dodgers

It's all settled, the Dodgers and their league-leading pitching staff will roll into Chicago starting Wednesday. The Cubs were 5-2 against them this season, including a three game sweep at home in three low-scoring games. They split a four game set in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers ride into October with a 17-7 record, albeit it against an extremely easy schedule (Padres, Diamondbacks, Giants, Rockies, Pirates).

I think the Cubs are the far superior team, but the Dodgers do have a good staff and the games will probably be close and low-scoring. That means a lucky break or two and the Dodgers can make this interesting.

Comments

Dodgers are going to be tough. The Dodgers team that we were 5-2 against didn't have Rafeal Furcal, Casey Blake or Manny Ramirez. A couple of games I do remember between the 2 teams was Z having a major meltdown on a Saturday afternoon. Kurudo probably had one of the most dominating pitching perfomances against us the night before.

Kuroda had gave up 4 hits and had 11 strikeouts on June 6th.

I would have much preferred the Mets obviously, but lets take the challenge and beat em!

I am pretty sure they still dont have Furcal.

(EDIT): He did come on 9/24 and is 2 for 8 since coming back.

Hilarious sign.

go cubs, etc.

wsux win,
make-up game tomorrow for wsux, if they win, tiebreaker on tuesday.

Honestly, I'm still glad we don't have to worry about facing Santana twice in a short series.

I bought 2 tix for game 4...hopefully I'll tix to game 3 from someone at work.

Just got Tix at StubHub to Game 3! C'mon Cubbies let's sweep, I want to be there to see that!

got 2 for $25 each for Game 3 last week, picked up 2 for $50 each (all you can eat) for Game 4 today from mlb.com

Okay, where's the stupid schedule? I can't find dates & times for the playoff games yet. Grrr...

NM, times TBD

ROB, CHAD - lucky day!

I'm sure you will be there with Cubs gear on.

Derek Lowe gives us fits. We generally have a tough time in general against slow tossing, sinker ball pitchers. I hope he has an off night and puts the ball in the zone.

just got my tix on ebay. hopefully the guy will come through 100% feedbak and his number was real high.

It's entirely conceivable the Rob and the Angel Fan wife could be attending a World Series game on opposing sides...

*awkward*

we'll go together, I fear for our children more.

RobG's kids in 20 years:

"I don't like baseball. For some reason, it reminds me of yelling."

5:30 CST for Game 1

8:30 CST for Game 2 (damn, that's late)

17 seconds left. Bears might actually pull this one out. Dare we dream?

Wow, game over. Amazing goal line stand.

Damn, I should have bet on this game.

• ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 52 min 59 sec ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 1 hour 30 min ago view
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 1 hour 54 min ago view
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 5 hours 23 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 5 hours 47 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 5 hours 47 min ago view
  • Yep. One of the great things about this team (in addition to being really good at baseball) was the "likable" factor. Feels a bit different now. Who knows...maybe Chapman will be the king of the dance parties.