Archie Bradley Shoots Broken Arrows at Cubs
Pinch-hitter Matt Jensen clubbed a two-run home run with one out in the top of the 9th to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 5-4 lead, and the Diamondbacks held-on to edge the Cubs 5-4 in AZ Instructional League action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this afternoon.
19-year old 6’4 225 RHP Archie Bradley (Broken Arrow HS - Broken Arrow, OK) got the start for the D’backs, and threw three perfect innings with eight strikeouts. The only non-strikeout was a feeble broken bat 5-3 ground out.
I can certainly see why Bradley was the 7th overall pick in the 2011 June draft.
He is a beast.
While Bradley was calmly mowing down the Cubs, the Diamondbacks got on the board as Raywilly Gomez blasted a solo HR over the RF fence leading off the top of the 2nd inning against Cubs starting pitcher Starling Peralta.
The Cubs remained hitless into the 5th, when Reggie Golden broke-up the no-hitter (and tied the game) with a one-out gargantuan 400+ ft solo HR over the left-centerfield fence (just to the left of the “Green Monster” Batter’s Eye) onto 8th Street off D'backs RHP Juan Valdez. Then with two outs, Neftali Rosario grounded a single through the 5.5 hole into left, and Dustin Geiger smoked an RBI double off the RF fence to drive-in Rosario from 1st base with the go-ahead run. Carlos Penalver followed with a line-drive opposite-field single to right to plate Geiger, and then after Garrett Schlecht walked and Zeke DeVoss reached base on an error to load the bases, Penalver scored the fourth and final run of the inning on a WP.
The Cubs took their 4-1 lead into the 8th, but the D’backs fought back to score two in the 8th and two in the 9th.
Cubs RHRP Dustin Fitzgerald took the loss, surrendering an RBI double in the 8th (inherited runner scored - run charged to Kyler Burke) and what would prove to be the eventual game-winning two-run HR in the 9th.
The Cubs did get the tying run to 3rd base in the bottom of the 9th as Dan Vogelbach drew a one-out walk, stole 2nd base, and advanced to 3rd on an E-2 overthrow into CF. But Reggie Golden struck out and Eliecer Bonne grounded out to end the game.
Cubs hitters struck out a total of 15 times in today’s game.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, 2B: 0-2 (K, BB, E-4, BB, SB)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 0-4 (K, P-3, K, L-7)
3. Rubi Silva, DH #1: 0-4 (5-3, 4-3, 4-3, 5-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 3-1, K, BB, SB)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-4 (K, HR, K, K, R, RBI)
6a. Taiwan Easterling, CF: 1-3 (K, F-8, 1B, CS)
6b. Eliecer Bonne, CF: 0-1 (4-3)
7a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (K, 1B, R)
7b. Rafael Lopez, C: 0-1 (F-9)
8. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (K, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
9. Carlos Penalver, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
10. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Alberto Mineo, DH #3: 1-1 (1B)
1. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Michael Jensen: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 23 pitches (11 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Tayler Scott: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 24 pitches (14 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
4. Austin Reed: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (11 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Kyler Burke: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
6. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
1. P Austin Reed - E1 (overthrow on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. P Kyler Burke - E1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 1B Dustin Geiger - E3 (missed catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
1. Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
2. Rafael Lopez: 0-1 CS
RF Garrett Schlecht - runner thrown out 9-6-5 trying advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
ATTENDANCE: 97 (mostly students & instructors from MLB Scout School)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the upper 90’s
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.