Cubs Draw Blanks at Indian School Park
Six pitchers combined to throw a five-hit shutout with ten strikeouts, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 4-0 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon.
Lanky 6’5 20-year old RHP David Henrie (2011 NDFA – Trinidad State JC) made his pro debut for the Cubs today, getting the start and throwing one inning. He allowed one run on a walk and two singles, and struck out one (the first man he faced, on three pitches). The Cubs signed Henrie last month after watching him pitch for the Arvada Colts in the Rocky Mountain Baseball League (a collegiate summer "wood bat" league) and a subsequent work-out for Cubs scouts at Fitch Park on August 15th.
Also making his pro debut today for the Cubs was 16-year old Venezuelan switch-hitting catcher Mark Malave. One of the top-rated 16-year old International players available at the start of the International Signing Period, Malave received a reported $1.6M bonus (equivalent to “1st round money”) this past July. He is a big dude (6'3), a typical catcher, bottom-heavy and barrel-chested. He was a DH today, and went 0-3 with two strikeouts (both swinging) and a 1-3 tap-out. He looked over-matched at the plate, but you have to remember he is the same age as a HS junior in the U. S. (he won’t turn 17 until next year).
21-year old RHRP Tony Zych (Cubs 2011 4th round draft pick out of the U. of Louisville) pitched the 6th inning. He came out firing high-velocity gas and a sharp-breaking slider, and had an easy eight-pitch 1-2-3 inning with lots of swings & misses and two strikeouts. I wouldn't be surprised if Zych ends up on the same track in 2012 as Kevin Rhoderick and Aaron Kurcz this past season, starting the year at Daytona.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, LF: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, P-1, PO)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH #1: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
5a. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-2 (K, L-4)
5b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
6a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-1 (1B, HBP, CS)
6b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-1 (1B)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-2 (F-7, 2-3 SH, L-5)
8. Mark Malave, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 1-3, K)
9. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, F-9)
10. Neftali Rosario, DH-C: 0-2 (K, F-7)
11. Justin Marra, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 BALK, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Jose Rosario: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
1. 2B Carlos Penalver - E4 (errant throw at 1st base on single allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
2. RF Reggie Golden - E9 (dropped line drive allowing batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Javier Baez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k
JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.
Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...
joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1
not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.
really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.